And so our story begins...

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by Greywolf, May 7, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

A list (to begin with) of who's who in the Towing, Trailer, Campers, and Fifth Wheel corral here at Ford Truck Zone - and a great big FTZ welcome to all and sundry!

Dutch here, I have pushed and shoved in my usual "Bulldozer Rolling Down Mainstreet" fashion to see this subforum happen, subtlety not being one of my stronger points. I live in western Tennessee, a few miles from the big river and 20 minutes from Memphis Motorsports Park (or Memphis International Raceway - whichever you prefer). I think my earliest experiences with trailers were kind of "Inglorious". My Poppa used to have a wooden box trailer that he bought from a Preacher - who used it to haul manure for the Church gardens.
    *It had a 1940 Chevy axle under it, with mis-matched rims

Many years later, I retired from being a US NAVY Electronics Tech (AT1/AW/Inst/Etc...) and found a job as a service tech for RV's, first at Suncoast RV in Memphis on North Watkins street, then later at Southaven RV, and finally at D&N Campers. Altogether I put about two years into it, and saw a whole lot of things - some of which you don't want to know.

I still have all of my tools though, and a nearly complete set of Master Keys :rolleyes:

But electricity and electronics were the end of it I was gifted at, that engines, transmissions, and suspensions never scared me was a bonus.

This is not the first RV Tech subforum I have ever been a part of, and I'm not talking about a corporate website - a grass roots one like this where we all share our experience, skills, and knowledge.

I don't currently HAVE an RV, but I have worked on just about every kind that there is.

I'm also not too shabby at graphics and explaining things.

~Dutch
    AKA: "Wolfie"

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Tags:
    RunningRigging likes this.
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Hey! We got a subforum!

Most of my rv repair experience comes from doing it myself, but there's a lot of similarity and crossover between cars, trucks, and houses. Since I fix what's wrong at home, and on my vehicles, and I'm a mechanic to boot, there's not much about my rv that scares me.

I just don't like putting holes in it.

So while I can wire up an inverter with the proper sized cable for an extended run, I'm more concerned with where's the safest place to drill through the floor.

But that's just me rambling. Allow me to ramble some more!

My first experience in a an rv was when my dad rented a motorhome for about a week. I thought it was pretty neat, and I think it led to my dad eventually buying his own. We had usually tent camped, but the motorhome was a game changer. Suddenly we weren't sleeping on a rocky bed. We could stand up straight to get changed. Reading books by Heinlein didn't require a flashlight keeping everyone else awake. We could take more stuff! Well, I brought my bike. My sister brought more books, my brother brought more toys.

After my dad died, we sold it. Biggest regret of my then young life. Sure, it didn't get used, but there were times after my mom sold it that I would have been the hero among my friends if I could have brought it with us on a road trip somewhere. So I had to get back to tenting. Then I got a pickup, then I got a canopy. Then I got an air mattress. Then I slept in the back of my truck.

There is a thing to be said for simplicity. I was quite content sleeping in the back of my truck. But then a guy gets a girlfriend, who might turn into a wife, and these two bring their own sets of requirements for camping. Which brings us to how we have a travel trailer with a slide. She said we needed it for when it rains, I said the kids could hang out in their bunks or play in the rain. I chose to compromise and keep my sanity. No she didn't win.

Hehe.

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I knew there was something familiar about you - we were both brought up on Robt. A. Heinlein!

No wonder you can think on your feet, even when chewing gum! :happy:

~ I never did manage to "RENSHAW" myself though - and it's probably much too late.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso