Are T-18 and T-19 Transmissions Noisy?

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Hamilton Felix, Jun 19, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Hamilton Felix

After reading up a bit, I'm about certain my four speed transmission is a T-19. It has a pretty good gear whine in the first three gears, it's only quiet in fourth. A while ago, I replaced the gear oil with Redline MT90, but that didn't really change anything. I didn't buy the truck new, so I don't know what it sounded like on day one, or what it's supposed to sound like.

Tags:
  2. BKW Founding Member

According to the 1980/89 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog, 1985/86 F250/350 4WD 460 & 6.9L Diesel were available with the Warner T-19.

transmission code printed on the Certification Label, glued to the left door face below the latch.

A = New Process 435 4 speed / F = Warner T-18 4 speed / P = Warner T-19 4 speed.

3. Hamilton Felix

Actually, I was looking at detailed images and descriptions. But I will look when I get home. I'm just wondering if these are noisy. Lots of old gearboxes were. At various times we used to have a 48 Dodge 1-ton, 52 Dodge heavy half ton, 48 Ford F6, 49 International KB6, 56 International S160, and I still have 56 International S120 and 66 International 1300 4x4. And once upon a time I drove a 55 GMC fuel delivery tanker.

Some of the older rigs just whined in the lower gears. That's life. I'm just wondering if it is normal for my four speed to whine in lower gears. It works fine and is quiet in fourth, so I'm not losing too much sleep. But... "Inquiring minds want to know." ;)

4. Paul Masley Founding Member

First should only whine due to the ratio, the rest should be quiet. It sounds like you may have some worn gear bushings on the secondary shaft. This is causing the gears not to mesh as designed. This wear usually shows up after 80K miles or if someone has been powershifting the transmission quite a bit. Forth gear is straight through so if it starts whining, you are about ready for a failure. You may need a pull. On my 85, I could pull the shifter and the upper transmission cover for a peak through the floor. A T-19 is hard to find now. You do not want a failure. Easier to fix now than wait to later. Bushing and bearings are easier to replace than gears.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  5. Hamilton Felix

Yep, transmission code is P and axle code is 39 (whatever that means; I think it has 3.55 axles). Also, it was made in 9/86.

6. Paul Masley Founding Member

It should have steeper gears with that tire size. I do not have access to the axle codes but if I remember right, numbers means an open rear axle and that one is a 3.55. Hey BKW, HELP!

7. Hamilton Felix

Forgot to mention, my truck has 120K miles. It had about 115K when I bought it in 2005 - lots of sitting after I drove it home from the Seaside area of Oregon. I figure the Redline MT90 gear oil won't hurt, but it's not magic. The way I use the rig in my rural environment, is generally to get through the gears fairly quickly then stay in 4th. The big low rpm 460 is a pretty mild engine, but there's enough torque that I don't do much shifting. That transmission may outlast me. ;)

8. Paul Masley Founding Member

Sitting will mess up most any mechanical device. The oil will drain, then cause a dry run, bushing and bearings will go. This may be what happened to your transmission.

9. Hamilton Felix

I will watch it more closely. I am so busy lately. But I really want to set up a schedule to make sure all of our vehicles, chainsaws, generators and mowers get run every week.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >