Basic F-150 ?

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by mete, Feb 12, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mete

I'm looking for a basic F-150 and the choice seems to be for me, an Eco-Boost or the 3.3 direct injection. I'm not a gadget lover ,I just want a basic reliable truck with no need for max acceleration load carrying etc . My needs now are not very great but would like the better reliability option. Reg cab, 6.5 bed, 4x4 Comments ?

Tags:
  2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

My admittedly limited experience has convinced me that you can not buy such a truck from the typical dealership.
    Find a broker that specializes in Fleet Sales and see if you can buy through them.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

New or used? I assume new but want to make sure!

Muel likes this.
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Make sure it has the fx4 package
    that comes with skid plates, rancho shocks, limited slip rear, and hill hold brake system
    all for $400
    skid plates alone are $600

You also want the trailer tow package, gives you a hitch, extra leaf, wiring for 4 pin, and 7 pin
    You still have to have the dealer instal the Ford brake controller, and program it, but worth it IMHO
    XL will give you rubber floor mats, and a pretty nice interior, not a lot of bells and whistles. XLT is pretty nice, and gives you better electronics.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Oops. I assume you were looking for new. Good catch ken

6. mete

I understood the 3.3 DI was new this year .In any case yes 2018 . My '09 was what the truck came with but never used the tow package. The FX4 again has stuff that I'd never use. Logging roads yes, off road no. I,ve hit a couple of deer here in the Catskill Mtns but I've been hit BY as many deer !! :( It's true , I can show you the minor damage of such things. I was once hit by two deer , bump, bump which I only saw after the hit ! :eek:
    Any way I retired now so I don't get into too much trouble. Basically it comes down to the two engines.
    I bought it from a small dealer who did some fleet stuff but since then Ford has changed things so they are no longer a dealer. I'm in the wilderness !

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The rancho shocks will outlast the stock shocks, and the limit slip will get you out of a bind. $400 well spent

The 3.3 has good write ups. I don't know anyone with one, so can't say
    I looked at f 150's but really needed the 250, so that's what I bought

You can still "build a truck" with ford on line, that's what I ended up doing, then they match that to a dealer near you, that finds a truck "like" what you want, within a specified milage
    I chose 500 miles, and found a truck less than 50 miles from home

Here's build my Ford
    https://shop.ford.com/showroom?link...uck&ef_id=WoBvFQAAAIdanVHa:20180212225355:s#/

8. BKW Founding Member

2015: The local Ford dealer (Puente Hills Ford) had two XL Super Crews w/the 3.5L non Eco, with the optional 302A package that included sync, satellite radio, power door locks w/remote, keyless entry, power windows and not much else.

If 302A was not present, you got crank windows, with none of these features. In other words a bare bones "stripper."

Now if this small town dealer had two, what would dealer in a large metroplex area have?

9. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Different audience Small Town to big

I looked for a stripper once. . . :angelic:

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Just me, but I'm gun shy when it comes to a new Ford engine the first couple of model years. The 3-valve version of the 5.4L had spark plug breakage issues the first 3 years where the bottom half could break off when removing them and fall into the cylinder. The 6.0L diesel, while it had issues all years, the 2003-2004 had the most problems. The Ecoboost, first couple of years had water ingestion and intercooler issues. Early 5.0L Coyotes had occasional cylinder distortion issues.

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Agree
    I'd run with the 3.5

12. mete

Apparently the only 'new' thing with the engine is it's Port Injection in addition to Direct Injection.
    With all the choices of cab, bed , engines packages , it's just like the old Chinese Menus which I learned about as a little kid !!

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Well if its just port fuel injection, that kind of thing is pretty stable technology that hasn't changed much over the years, so I wouldn't shy away from it.

14. mete

Direct injection causes the carbon build-up. Adding port injection reduces that problem. We should be thankful for our Beta friends .

JWC 3 likes this.
  15. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

I'm hearing that Direct Injection, is not as "clean" emissions wise in normal operation.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >