Veterans Zone Be on the lookout for STOLEN VALOR posers!

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Greywolf, Dec 16, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The way the law is setup is it's illegal if its for financial gain -- otherwise it is considered 1st amendment as a person is perfectly within their rights to dress up like an Indian, a mechanic or just about anything else. The first attempt at the law was struck down because it targetted the dressing, not the dressing for gain.

Now here's the sad thing Dutch, it seems many (not the majority though) of the arrests I've seen in the news are people who have served and faked their rank, combat history and/or medals received, etc. Matter of fact, the original version of the law when it was struck down by the Supreme Court --- that was brought to the court on behalf of a real soldier faking his medals!

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

That is sad - being a tech-type, I didn't exactly wind up with a scrapyard on my chest, but what I did get was ALL MINE - and I was satisfied with it. Especially when I saw that there were a few "Award Mongers" who would jump through hoops to get Navy/Marine Corps Achievement medals, of which I have ONE (1) and only one.

But mine was for putting out a fire aboard ship - not for passing a quarterly audit or filing papers better than the next guy. So I'm a firm believer in what it was for, not what it is. Rank may come slow in some rates unless honors are gathered. But I saw no honor in kissing butt! In fact, "Award Abuse" was so thick on CVN-68 when I was attached to it that I made the statement "If I got a NAM for this boat ride, I'd toss it in the harbor..." yet those were two years I worked harder in areas unsuited to me than I ever had or should have had to.

In retrospect, I'm smart enough that if I wanted to compete for tinsel I could have mapped out a way to beat the game, but it just didn't interest me.

I was also puzzling over the curious story of CNO Admiral Jeremy M. Boorda (WIKI Link) which didn't make a lot of sense to me, and still doesn't.

And yet, as you look at some of those video's you see obvious fakers that don't even know the correct "Order of Precedence" of medals and ribbons. Who have no clue even what patches go where, or what a unit insignia or campaign patch is about. They have just "SLAPPED CABBAGE" on a uniform and thought nobody would figure it out! One day in Mira Mesa I noticed a group of migrant workers sitting at a street corner and about half of them were wearing parts of the utility uniform of someone who had apparently gotten out as an E5 and tossed those uniforms in a dumpster when cleaning out their apartment.

I didn't know whether to laugh or throw up. But at least all of the patches and insignia were in the right place...

"Are you from around here?"
    "Si!"
    "Como su llamo?"
    "Jose."
    "You looking for work?"
    "Si."
    "Were you in the military?"
    "No comprende..."

:rofl:anim

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >