Black Paint Question

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by BlueOvalex, Aug 17, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BlueOvalex

I am looking for someone that has used a low gloss black paint on their truck.
    I have a 79 F-250 Custom Stepside and it was originally black.
    While my body work is pretty good it is not good enough for a high gloss black.
    I was looking at the Hot Rod black but it is a FLAT black just like the O'Rilley Hot Rod Black.
    I am NOT planning on going to SEMA or shows just want a decent low shine black.
    If some has input on this subject it would be helpful. Pictures would be GREAT..
    Thank you

Tags:
  2. BlueOvalex

Slow Responces on here.jpg #ad

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't get it with flat, low gloss and matte paints. It's like baking a nice cake and covering it with sour cream instead of frosting.

4. BlueOvalex

Well Mr. FTZ
    Thank you for the reply
    That is what this site needs is MORE RESPONSES...
    So I guess it took the slow response snail to finally get a reply.

Now, I like your thinking about the cake BUT what if you had a cake with all your beautiful chocolate frosting but you could not eat it because it was put there for show only.
    I view these old trucks just like that, there are trailer queens that look great and shiny and may even run BUT no one wants to actually use them for what they were made for. ( hence, this car rides like a TRUCK phrase).
    The reason for my low gloss is it looks decent, and very functional, while high gloss takes many hours and many many $$$ to look real beautiful then you hate use it like a truck or to take it into the woods or out when it rains.
    My old 79 F-250 4x4 4 spd. flare side truck is pretty straight and decent however,the body is NOT good enough for GLOSS black. As you probably know, (Gloss black IS the worse to bring out every tiny ding, ripple, or imperfection)
    I did spend my time and $$ on the mechanical side. Rebuilt my NP 435, installed Yukon Dura Grip in front end, all bakes, front end. As I stated above, I spent my time on functionality not shiny. Like we used to say in the 60's (Chrome wont get you home...).
    So, if anyone on here has used a great low gloss black, please let us know.
    Thank you again for the reply

5. iicap

No experience with what your looking for But, wouldn't a Rustoleum product serve you well? Not knowing your spray painting abilities, there have been a # of applications postings somewhere with using a foam roller(s). May even be a hardener additive can be put in. Thinking not a high end brand, costly, automotive paint. Also might look at a brand called, I believe, Magic. TSC sells it though you may buy it better elsewhere. Just a couple comments, Cap

6. BlueOvalex

Hey Cap,
    Thank you for the information, Always enjoy reading your replies....I will check these out. Also, just heard about John Deere Blitz black (I think) will also check it out.
    Thank you again

7. BlueOvalex

Hey Cap,

I did check out the roll on with a foam roller paint job on U tube. Very interesting but I think I will stick with my old BINKS
    gun.
    The u tube roll on paint looked pretty good, I was impressed with the outcome that was SHOWN. I was wondering how they rolled around hood, door, bed edges. seems like paint would gather on the edges and run. Maybe if you did enough of the roll on you might eventually figure it out. LOL
    Thanks again for the input and ideas....

8. Stus77fF100460

9. Stus77fF100460

Paint done by previous owner, i just bought it!! but all he did was have the old paint and even striping stickers with matte black and then coated; He has a few 'shiny' ones, but he just wanted something that he could take out and park and not worry about people dinging.

10. BlueOvalex

Hey Stus77,,,
    Very nice looking truck.
    I would be proud driving around in that truck. That is the type of truck I am trying to end up with my 79.
    Is that a Custom with a 300 6, and 4 spd??

11. Stus77fF100460

Thanks!
    It was a 3 on the column, not sure which engine, but previous owner put a built 460 in it, out of a '68 Lincoln. about 550 hp. now has a C6 auto. I'm adding power brakes, power steering and AC!! already have the new brakes, just need install. my mechanic is looking at best way to do power steering, maybe rack and pinion.

12. Stus77fF100460

13. Stus77fF100460

And people thought my Grandma was crazy when she would take her car to an empty parking lot and roll on some house paint.

14. BlueOvalex

Stus77
    That looks great EXCEPT for the wiring. The wiring looks a mess.
    Pick up some plastic wire loom, some red. black . yellow and ??? wire re route wire shorten or lengthen as needed.
    Again that setup looks great. The engine and interior are perfect...(except for wiring) lol..

iicap might have some ideas on the power steering setup..

Alex

15. Stus77fF100460

Yes, i know, i've only had it 2 weeks..figured i'd get a license plate on it and drive it before re-wiring it. i HAVE fixed the interior door jamb light switches (i know, simple, but i'm not a mechanic, so i was happy it worked), removed the passenger seat and console, installed weather stripping on engine bay, tinted the windows, removed the clutch pedal that was still there, took it to get VIN verified downtown, after having it shipped here, (on other cars, replaced belts that blew on 66 Thunderbird, hard to drive w/o power steering, put on new starter, fixed leaking gas line) (took apart console on range rover to fix media screen)(moved a 1200# pool table by myself to make more room in garage-(still not enough room for 17' long '66 T-bird, '88 Ferrari 328, 540hp SVR Range Rover, Harley trike, Yamaha scooter with sidecar, 2020 Vespa w/ sidecar and now Truck) built new shutter doors for HVAC access, shampooed the carpet after dog got sick, did some laundry, painted a bedroom, took 2 trailer loads of yard waste after cutting to the dump. went to 2 baseball games, Go Rays! oh yeah and worked 50 hrs / week....) and before all this drove 700 miles to look at truck and then buy it, 700 miles each way, so yes, i will get to the wiring. and i'm in florida, so except for past 2 days, we have a small hurricane once or twice a day, some people call it rain.
    I guess i'll only post pictures when its perfect, but that will be another 8-12 years. But as previous owner said when i asked if it needed anything, he stated, "you just need to DRIVE IT!"
    Despite the wiring, which previous owner was going to put a bigger engine in it if it didn't sell. but currently has this in it. (and i said, "bigger engine!?" )

· 468 big block Ford (Bored Out .040) out of a ’68 Gran Torino or Lincoln – pre smog controls
    · 600 miles on current engine
    · Blueprinted
    · Keith black dish pistons
    · Speed Pro Rings
    · Moly reconditioned rods
    · ARP Bolts
    · Balanced Assembly
    · Hydronic Comp Cam
    · HV Melting Oil Pump
    · Milodon front sump pan
    · 429 iron/ported cobra jet heads with oversized valves (cv-8 or ‘Dove’ Heads)
    · Custom Length Moley Push Rods
    · Trick Flow Aluminum Rockers
    · Edelbrock RPM Intake Manifold
    · Edelbrock 750 Carb (Daily Driver)
    · Holley Double Pumper 4 bbl Carb and Filter (Not currently installed-for racin')
    · Billet CSR Electric Water Pump
    · MSD Distributor and Coil
    · Fully Built S/W Performance Automatic C6 Transmission w/ Manual Valve Body and transmission Brake
    · Hughes transmission Shatter Shield
    · 2800-3200 TCI Stall Converter
    · Hedman Headers to 3” Dual Exhaust (Cherry Bombs then to Flowmasters) to reduce sound, still loud as hell!-music to my ears.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >