Blacking out badges

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Grudge Match, Jun 24, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Grudge Match Founding Member

I'm thinking about doing the acetone treatment to the badges on my F150 then spraying them gloss black.

First about the acetone, will it etch the metal any or does it only take off the paint? What about badge removal whats the easiest way to do that? And last I don't have a spray gun so this will be done with rattle cans. What is the best paint to use and technique to make it look like it came black from the factory? I know these are newb questions but there's a first time for everything!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Some recommendations....

There are people who mask off the paint around the emblems with 3m painters tape. Frankly, since acetone seeping under tape will eat the truck's paint off, for me it's a risk not worth taking just to save some time.

Get a heat gun on low, or a hair dryer, and use that to soften up the double sided tape holding the emblems on. Remove the emblems and use something like bug and tar remover to take off any residual glue from the tape on both the truck and the emblem.

Next, get a painter's paint tray and put the emblems in it. Pour enough acetone in it to fully cover the emblems. Set it in a place with plenty of ventilation and no sparks! Let them soak for about 30 minutes, then remove them and wipe off the paint with paper towels. There will be a little residual paint left, you can use a rag soaked in acetone to quickly remove this paint haze. Wear chemical resistant gloves!

The best rattle can paint you can use to paint them black is the stuff specifically made for cars/trucks, like the touchup cans they sell. Practice first on a clean smooth metal surface until you get it right, then do the badges. The nice part of this is if you mess up you can simply redo the acetone treatment and start over.

3M makes double sided tape for auto emblems, you can find it on Amazon.

BKW likes this.
  3. KentuckyKid

The previous owner of my truck had blacked out the emblems and rims. I had the dealer replace the emblems and swap rims with non-painted ones. I much prefer the look of chrome stock emblems, but I am torn as to whether having them swap rims (they didn't charge me extra for any of this) was the right move. Looks good either way, but I "almost" wish I kept the painted black rims and only replaced the emblems.
    Dealer swapped to factory

bigrigfixer likes this.
  4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I'm not really a fan of the blacken rims except perhaps, on a white truck.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Not gloss or flat black, but black chrome and black chrome powder coating looks awesome on black trucks.

30m49q9.jpg #ad

Its on my list of things to eventually do to my F150.

6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Those look real sharp.

7. Paul Masley Founding Member

I am planning on doing the aluminum wheels on my Crown Vic that way (black chrome).

8. BKW Founding Member

To some maybe, to others, not. IMO, it looks fugly!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Kent Industries makes a product called Acrysol, removes adhesive, bird poop, pollution and other foreign material from paint.

Auto paint supply stores sell double sided tape, so you don't have to buy it on the internet.

btw: Stupor Cab pictured in post 3 has the optional XLT chrome package, evinced by the 'old washerwoman' type grille. Something else I dislike.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    OldjunkFords likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >