borg warner t85 transmission

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Yooooooooo, Feb 28, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Yooooooooo

I am fixing up a '67 F100 for my high school auto class and want to get it up to freeway speed. I have a borg warner t85 transmission without overdrive, and am wondering what the best way to keep the transmission and get an overdrive gear. I have looked into the gearvendor add-on, but it's a little out of my budget. Is there a way to convert it to overdrive, or would I need a whole new transmission?

Tags:
  2. Yooooooooo

Not a t85, it’s a t18. Made new thread for correct title

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  3. iicap

Yes on another transmission. What are you going to do with this F-100??? Stock, just a driver or Hot Roding with a bigger more powerful engine???

4. Yooooooooo

Just fixing it up to be an everyday driver, wanting to get it up to freeway speed, bonus if it lasts forever. Also it has the 352 so I won’t really need a more powerful engine.

5. iicap

OK on being a daily driver. Your 352 is of Fords FE engine family. I understand keeping cost reasonable. A used 5 speed OD transmission to bolt to Ford FE engine for sale by someone or from junkyard. Search online for answers. In heavier trucks F-500, 600, there were transmission with 5 speeds with OD, prob rarer than hens teeth today. Consider 5 speed from a mustang that had a FE style engine? Hopefully just a driveshaft modification.

6. Yooooooooo

Ok, thanks for the help. I’ll check out a couple junkyards

7. BKW Founding Member

No such thing as a T-85 without overdrive. What your truck has is the Ford type 3.03 3 speed manual all synchromesh transmission.

This transmission was standard equipment for 1963/86 F100/250 2WD's.

Borg-Warner T-85N 3 speed manual with overdrive was optional for 1965/71 F100's.

8. Yooooooooo

It is a t18, I got a little mixed up

BKW likes this.
  9. irvin

probably wont help you but check my for sale ad in classifieds--irv toms

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >