Both head lights blown

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by ehammons, Jan 8, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. ehammons

I was running my high beams pointing them at something I was working on when they went dim. The parking lights and fog light worked but not the head lights. Both bulbs were blown/glass broke. I bought 2 more and connected them. The right front lit but not left. I took the right working bulb and put in left and it didn’t light up. The right bulb was really hot to the touch after only being on a few seconds. I moved the bulb that was working in the right and put it back in the right side and then it wouldn’t work. Neither new bulb was blown but don’t work. No visible issues on connections to the bulb. Seems to be a circuit/wiring issue at this point?

Tags:
  2. ehammons

I am not a mechanic btw and plan to take it to a garage but checking the basics

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The heat after a few seconds is normal, that's 50 watts being pushed through it -- after a few minutes it can get hot enough to take your skin off.

With only one side working, that rules out the relay and the fuse, so it would have to be wiring. Probably a short from corrosion over the years.

ehammons likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >