Brake fluid change?

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by john jeffkyns, Feb 19, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. john jeffkyns

I have a Ford Big Truck with the same brake fluid for 36 years, there are no issues with the brakes, should I change the fluid?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I would, as the brake fluid has a glycol base.
    Glycol absorbs water, and will eventually rust your system from the inside out.
    Check the color of the fluid, it should be clear, or a yellowish tint.
    If it is brown, you are way past time for a change.

3. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

i never had a vehicle that long guess i will look at my brake fliud

4. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

What the heck is a Ford Big Truck anyway?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Possibly he means a F550 or larger? Or maybe big refers to full size verses a Ranger?

Either way, yeah I'd not only change the fluid I'd have it flushed out a couple of times.

6. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

This sounds like a job for a power bleeder they are easy to use

7. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

If it has air brakes, drain the water in the tanks and you'll be good.

8. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They have some litmus type strips you can dip...tells you instantly how good or how bad the fluid is.
    Example: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psl-3003

Ford tests mine every time I take it in for an oil change. I know, I know...........but I get an excellent price, the whole job including tire rotation is less than I can buy the oil for at Wally World and Jerry gets lots of practice failing to sell me a whole bunch of superfluous stuff.

9. john jeffkyns

thanks for all the advice, I guess my main worry was introducing contaminants when I topped up with new brake fluid.

10. NRA4ever Founding Member

Iwant a good bleeder for doing my brakes. I would replace the fluid in all my rides.

11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You can do a poor mans brake flush................Open all the bleed screws, walk away for a couple hours, come back and start refilling the reservoir and closing the bleed screws as clean fluid comes out.
    Then do a standard brake bleed.

12. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I've done that before, but at one caliper at a time. Loosen the cap on the reservoir, and let the brake fluid run out the caliper. Do it every time I do a brake job. I've never had the need to bleed the brakes doing it this way.

13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Yes , gravity bleed each one at a time . I do that often at work . Easy and cheep .

14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

All you need is some clear plastic tubing to keep from making a mess on the calipers/backing plate.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  15. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

In a garage or on a concrete driveway, this would be great! I do mine in a gravel driveway in front of a garage away from the house. Making a mess is not a priority of mine. But the clear lines running into an empty oil bottle or so would be great to keep from making a mess in your garage on driveway!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >