< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

I put a power brake booster, proportioning valve, front disk brakes, & new wheel cylinders on rear on my 53 F100. I took it out for the first time & had very little braking power. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

I'll ask all the dumb questions first are your brakes a bled?? no air in system
    Do you have a full pedal ?? and is it hard or soft.
    Is your booster under the cab... if so and if the master cylinder is lower than the bleed screws you will need residual valves in both front and back

Did you check the rod length out of the booster to the m/c. It should just make contact with the plunger in the m/c with no brakes applied
    Mine wasn't and I had very poor braking until it was adjsted properly. this is true no matter where the booster/mc are mounted.
    How much travel do you have on brake pedal... if you hit floor with pedal before m/c fully engages you won't have the pressure you need
    Do you have manifold vacuum hooked to the booster, not carb vacuum
    are your rear shoes adjusted correctly (little drag on the drum when you spin the wheel.
    just some things to check
    john

Fabman likes this.
  3. tvpitts

First of all I want to give John a big thanks for all the help. I had no idea where to start. I have bleed the brakes & feel confident that there no air in the lines. I have a hard pedal with very little travel. The booster is mounted on the fire wall & I did not know to check the rod length on the booster. The vacuum line goes to the carb. not the manifold & the rear shoes drag a little. So I have work to do. Thanks again for your help. tvpitts

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >