Braking & Suspension for 1992 F250 (Heavy Duty: GVWR 8800lbs) Single RWD

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by JayB, May 29, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JayB

Hey everyone,

It has been awhile since I recently posted on here.

My truck: 1992 F250 XLT 7.5L with 8,800 GVWR, single RWD

Brakes

I've been experiencing not necessarily "issues" with the brakes but I do not feel comfortable with putting a heavy load (ex: camper, gravel, dirt, etc.) with how my brakes feel. Every time I brake, I notice the brake pedal has a long travel and feels like I have to push it almost to the floor to come to full stop. I have done a basic brake inspection of the front and rear brakes, all within spec. No leaks, plenty of brake pad/shoe material and plenty of rotor/drum.

What I have seen on YT to address this "issue" is bleeding the brakes from the master cylinder and RABS:

OR I can attempt adjusting the shaft inside the brake booster to the master cylinder like this gent that notes doing this too much will cause brakes to drag if done too much:

Because I am the third owner, I am fairly inexperienced with how these trucks are supposed to feel in regard to brake travel and pressure. The truck stops just fine, even with a heavy load. However, it just does not make me feel good on the road with how hard I have to press without a load. The oldest truck I have owned and original owner of is a 2000 F350 7.3L so I could be completely wrong about this and how the truck is supposed to feel. I could need a new brake booster for all I know.

Suspension

My other question is related to shocks. My shocks on my truck are original USA made Motorcraft. I need to get some new ones. Monroe and KYB make some for my truck type. I need suggestions especially for this HD application. I am willing to spend to get a quality shock to improve my ride while carrying near my GVWR.

I posted on my Youtube Channel a short video of my shocks:

There are two part numbers on the shock:
    E7TA-18045-F4B
    and
    CH27H2E

I may make this into two separate posts if admin or others suggest I do so. Thanks for the help from everyone, your guidance and wisdom is appreciated and valued.

2. Oldiesask

One thought with the rear brakes, sticky cables can cause the adjusters to not quite adjust. I recently changed both cables on my '84, the brakes feel tighter now. As for shocks, I have Ranchos they were there when I bought it. seem to be holding up so far, but no matter what you buy, the rubber bushings will not outlast the shocks anymore. Rancho sells replacement bushings for their shocks, so I will have that option, should I need it.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Doesn't hurt to turn the adjusting rod a tiny amount to see if that helps with the brakes. I did it with my truck and it made a difference. You'll know if they are dragging, hot brakes have an unmistakable smell!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >