Broke a leaf spring

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Sep 29, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The F150 has been giving symptoms of a dry driveshaft yoke, the slight thunk when you let off the gas. So I went out an hour ago to grease up the yoke. As I was crawling under the truck I found the real cause...

One of the Roush leaf spring packs had a busted leaf. A clean snap with no signs of twisting, bending or anything else at the break. Roush doesn't have these any longer, so I did some research, and I'm almost 100% certain they used Belltech springs, so I've ordered a set. Bummer, I could have used that money on something else but such is life.

Thing is, I can't figure out how the heck or when that sucker snapped, and I've never abused the suspension. :(

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There's no particular cause for it.
    Could be a flaw when it was tempered, could be it wasn't heat cured properly, could be just age. It is 12 years old, and you have wrapped it up a few times. LOL

As my dad used to say to me
    " don't over think it boy, just fix it"

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, I have wrapped it lol! Truck only has 50K miles, so it really surprised me. I'm looking into caltracs as a possibility.

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The BellTech springs are on. Ride is nice, clunk from the bad leaf is gone and while it was done went ahead and repacked the driveshaft slip joint using marine grease, have had good luck in the past with that it doesn't wash out easy. I have an anti-wrap kit from Hellwig on the way, and it should be here Tuesday.

dustybumpers and Campspringsjohn like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso