Broken bolt in head. Propane torch from camp stove not hot enough?

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Pushmower, Dec 6, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pushmower

I broke a bolt off when I removed the exhaust manifold to replace the studs.
    The piece that is stuck is about a quarter inch long. I can get a pair of vice grips on it.
    I started by spraying it with PB blaster and heated it with a propane torch. It doesn't get hot enough with the Propane torch.
    Do I need to use an oxy acetylene torch?
    Luckily, I have easy access to the bolt since the fender and inner fender have been removed for other projects.I

IMG_20231206_095421.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. captchas

i found map gas to give a hotter flame, works for me so i use it when the old red and green are not available

3. Pushmower

I went to harbor freight and got a small torch set. Then I went to a welding store and got the bottles filled.
    I will use it for the broken bolt and to remove the studs from the manifolds for replacement.
    At 60 years old it's time I added a new skill instead of asking others to cut or weld for me.
    Next spring I will gather some steel and start practicing! I think it will be fun!

captchas likes this.
  4. captchas

i did a pair of sb chevy exhausts today for broken studs, good old map gas again

hear you on having a red and green wrench set, that along with a gas mig welder , all tools of the mechanics trade

5. RP67F100

These work great in place of a torch, give a Lot more control of the heat, allowing you to concentrate heat where you want it
    And it won’t let you accidentally burn things that don’t need heat

IMG_2617.jpeg #ad

captchas likes this.
  6. Pushmower

That looks interesting!
    I will check them out. I asked a neighbor to come over and run me through the process of lighting the torch. He not only showed me how to light it, he heated up the broken bolt and I took it out with a pair of vice grips!

captchas likes this.
  7. captchas

those coils work great, only issue is they need to have a stud like amount sticking out if not they don't work, sometimes if means very careful drill and tap work, and i do mean very carefully .

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've not seen those before. It looks very cool, and I could have used one of those years ago on my 67 F100!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >