Solved 3.0 idle problem

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by 57FordGuy, May 27, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I have a 2003 Ranger Edge that has a serious idle problem. At startup it revs to 2000 and stays there between 1 and 2 minutes. After that it falls to just below 1000. Not the biggest problem. Sometimes at highway speeds it stays at 3000 rpm's which makes it hard to get it to a stop. The only change done recently was a new Autozone replacement IAC. They are saying the part is good but the ECM needs to be reset. Resetting didn't change anything. Would changing this part again with something better fix my problem?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Do tou still have the old one to put back on?
    Try cleaning that one with some carb cleaner.

It seems like there is a bad bunch of IAC valves that have hit the parts stores, from being on some other forums, so keep that in mind

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I take it was doing this before the IAC, or you wouldn't have changed it?

If the IAC doesn't take care of it, try cleaning out the TPS with some good electrical cleaner. If that doesn't work it might need replacing. Check it with a volt meter. Connect to the grey/white and grey/red wires. You should see it very close or at 1 volt with the throttle pedal unpressed and the engine off. As the throttle is pressed slowly if should increase to nearly 5 volts at wide open throttle.

Check for vacuum leaks too.

4. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Thanks. The IAC was replaced because it wouldn't idle at all. I have the old one. I'm going to clean it.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Is it putting out any codes?
    Check engine light on?

6. 57FordGuy Founding Member

No codes. I didn't think the IAC ever threw a code.

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I put 2 after market IAC valves on a Tarus .
    I ended up getting one from FOMOCO .
    Problem solved . I would get one from the dealer .

56panelford likes this.
  8. davebb

I had a problem like that on a Ranger 1999. Turned out the IAC was mounted backwards. The air flow through it was helping it to open. The wire reached it that way too.

9. 57FordGuy Founding Member

The old IAC states on its side "do not clean".

10. davebb

Yes. They probably had to put that on there because people were submerging them in those carb cleaner baskets. I've sprayed them out with brake clean spray with no ill effects. I've cleaned them but that didn't fix the problem. Cleaning the throttle body helps sometimes.

11. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I've cleaned the one on my PT Cruiser before. It was going dead at traffic lights. I cleaned it with MAS cleaner. That was over a year ago. The IAC on my Holiday Rambler didn't respond to this type cleaning.

12. NRA4ever Founding Member

Check the line to your PCV vavle. It's in the rear of the motor & is known to crack. Mine is duck taped up now but it really helped the idle. Ford wants a arm & leg fro the replacement part

13. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Hope that's not it. YouTube has some horror stories about that.

14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

When this problem is resolved, fill us in.

15. NRA4ever Founding Member

I have built a fix for my PCV valve hose. It's a 90 degree piece built from 1/2 inch hot water pvc & a 90. It replaces the rotten line from the intake to the PCV valve with a short piece of the old line at each end to attach it to the ends. Its got to work better than the rotten piece with the 1/2 inch hole in it.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >