C6 vs AOD transmissions

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Jones1965, Nov 1, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jones1965

Hello Everyone,
    I'm Mike and I recently purchased a 1965 F100 short box. I'll try to attach a picture or two if I can.
    My question to anyone with an informed opinion is which transmission is going to be the better choice. Let's just assume both transmissions are in good working order. Currently the truck has a C6 in it and it is working fine. I also have a non-electronic automatic overdrive transmission. That seems like it would make my truck more economical to drive at the same time the C6 is known to be a very strong transmission. Which is going to serve me better I don't plan to use this truck to do any serious hauling of any kind. I would like your thoughts.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If it's a big block FE, the C6 and AOD are not direct swaps, you need an adapter kit, plus a shorter driveshaft when going to the AOD.

3. BKW Founding Member

OP says truck currently has a C6, but I know that it did not have a C6 originally

iicap likes this.
  4. Jones1965

5. Jones1965

I should have provided more details. The 302 cid and transmission came out of a 76 van.
    It has a 9" differential that I will that I will turn into a positrak if I can.

6. Jones1965

I just don't know much about the AOD but I think it will bolt up to the 302, I would guess I would have to relocate the cross member.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >