Cab swap. 2x cab on a 4x4 frame /motor

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by MikeS, Oct 10, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. MikeS

Not running right. Not holding a charge. Do I need to switch fuse board/box? Any help would be appreciated. BTW I'm a carpenter not a mechanic.

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

First thing to do, is get a volt meter, and see what charge you have at the battery with the engine running
    You need 14 volts
    If not, shut the truck off, and test the green/ red tracer wire to the alternator with the key on/ engine off to see if you have 12 volts
    That is your exciter wire.

3. MikeS

Thank you. I'll try that. I think I need a new wires to the alternator. Brand new alternator bad plug.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

More than likely that is your problem then
    Let us know what you find

5. MikeS

To

6. MikeS

The alternator is new, and the short white/black or yellow/white wire ( i cant tell) but it plugs back into the alternator, it is busted. I have another set of wires off the original 2wd truck but the orange/blue is with the firewall plug not a fuse. Can I cut/splice wire and use it?

7. MikeS

Not getting power to the tracer wire or through the bar fuse on the bottom. I'm thinking it's both the wire and the fuse. I'm getting power on the left and nothing on the right side of the fuse

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Tracer wire is only hot with the key on.

9. MikeS

Yeah, key was on.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >