Calling Campsprings John...Help w LS 180 PLZ

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by dustybumpers, Jan 4, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I guess you've heard me mention how much I loath that lovely machine and it's fun problems.....

The newest one

Running out of fuel AGAIN when working hard. I've replaced, rebuilt, bla bla bla the fuel pump on this POS till the cows came home
    I usually change the filters, and off we go again
    This has been a problem since new in 2003. Origionaly I found a spider cacoon in the main pump that was shutting it down.

Now it's tired of me being smarter than it, so it starts, and lets me fold everything back up, and quits again

It will run in "service", but as soon as I throw the switch back to run, the warning light panel,the wet gear light, seat belt light,parking brake light, and red hydro gear light come on
    then the alarm. you have 30 seconds to shut down Once it shuts down if flashes FO4

It won't re start right away, acts like starved for fuel
    If you leave the key on, re adjust the seat belt, and key up, it will start, and go for about 2 mins.

I got it back on the trailer.
    All the fuel relays are testing good ( that I can see)
    I am at a loss, and I usually don't admidt defeat

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

from what i can see FO4 is fuel solenoid fault code.
    suggested repair that seems to always work is tightening connections on starter, and checking for corrosion on fuses or fuse box terminals.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Spent a cold windy day removing and cleaning wires and cables. Starter is good. cables and wires are clean
    pre-heat is working, battery fully charged

Machine starts, and works for about 20 mins, then goes into fail again
    I can let it sit, and start it back up enough to get it to the shop 2 mins at a time
    Going to test seat belt interlock system tomorrow.

Fuel pump runs when the bypass switch is on, but you can't use the hydrolics ( by design)
    When you flip the switch to run, it shuts down just like first post

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

time to get it running and get rid of it for a different betterer one.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yeah. It only has 560 hrs on it, not many for an 03

When weather breaks, I'll power wash it, make it purrrdy, and sell it
    Should sell well, cleans pretty good, just put new pins in the bucket, and new tires.

Thinking about this
    https://www.takeuchi-us.com/compact-track-loaders/tl12v2-track-loader/

I keep buying stuff, might as well go back to work.

6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Charlie, I just saw this thread. Forgive me, but I'm not familiar with what you've got. Or have I forgotten something?

7. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

OK, My first guess is that at some point, something is looking for power, (electric) and can't find a ground. As a result, whatever it is that needs the power is sucking whatever electricity backwards through whatever component it can, causing all the lights and alarms to go off.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It's a new holland skid steer John
    You helped me with it on the other site a few years ago when I was having the first fuel issue, and the turbo issue

Going to check cab grounds tomorrow, the seat belt switch is $300
    The seat belt sensors are IN the seat, not sure that you don't have to replace the seat

There is another solenoid under the floor that is a part of the interlock system could be bad from pushing the pedals too hard.

What ever it is, it's shutting down the electric fuel pump

Up until this year, there have only been 2 operators i this machine. My wife and myself
    Since my surgeries, I have had a few "operators" in there.

9. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Starving for fuel, could the fuel be gelling up, or perhaps crystallizing? Crystallizing in the fuel could restrict the fuel flow through the filter causing the symptoms you describe. Well, actually that would cause the engine to act up, but not all the lights and alarms to go off, that's electrical. I'm guessing there's a bunch of safety items on this so you can't operate it without sitting on the seat. If you start it, the park brake must be set. The seat belt must be fastened to move it. But what would cause the fuel pump to quit? Doesn't it have an electrical solenoid to kill the fuel flow to the injectors to shut the motor off?

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It's shutting the fuel pump off
    It's warning you that it's going to do it tho.
    going to try the cab grounds first, then will bypass the interlock safety system second (temporary)

My bet, it thinks I'm getting out of the seat while it's moving.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Warm(er) today, got it out of the shop, and all opened up

Battery is holding 12.9 v cold, and 650 cca
    I will be thinking about a new one in the future, but the battery tender handles that, I left it off since sunday on purpose
    Block heater working

Cleaned all seat sensors
    Cleaned seat belt interlock
    Couldn't find solenoid under floor

Under the "bonnet" I found a wire coming accross the face of the fuse /relay panel outside the harness that looked like it may rub on occasion. moved it, it goes to the gas guage , but not the guage itself?
    There was another wire that "could be" rubbing "on occasion" at the main fuel pump, I liquid taped, and moved that

Worked the machine for about 1 hr, so far good to go

Hopefully when the cold comes back and it snows next week, It'll behave

Thanks for the help everyone!

Campspringsjohn likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >