Rattle Sound Update: Coming From Behind Engine or Inside Throttle Body

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by JayB, Sep 11, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JayB

Hey guys,

This is an update from an issue I posted about a few weeks ago. I get a rattle sound that occurs when (1) in gear and driving and (2) when revving the engine (though more quite when just revving in park). It DOES NOT make the sound when I am rolling around with my foot off the accelerator, say coming down a hill or letting foot off gas to start breaking.

The sound is emitted when I press on the gas whether I am in park, neutral, or drive. I revved the engine a few times from the throttle on the throttle body so I could be in the engine bay to listen, Definitely coming from those two places I previously mentioned.

I am assuming there is an issue inside the throttle body or with some metal (i.e. some heat shield or other metal part being vibrated to hell.

Thanks you guys for your comments on other posts I made, I really appreciate the knowledge and help.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm trying to picture what can rattle in a throttle body, and nothing but the blade there and I'd think you'd have problems with idle speed, or keeping any steady RPMs if the throttle blade was rattling.

Possibilities:
    Pull a spark plug and see if there are signs of detonation. Pull out the octane spout connector which will decrease ignition timing. If it goes away, then it's usually ignition timing or fouled plugs.
    Do a leak down test to see if there are valve issues.
    Inspect the timing chain for wear. If it's stretched it can slap when giving it gas.
    EGR valve issue.
    Catalytic converters rusting out - bang them and they should not make any noise if they are okay.

3. JayB

Thank you for the reply to my post. I will do all of that, thank you so much for the guidance

- Johnny

4. JayB

Found the issue btw. The EGR line where the fitting connects to the EGR valve, was like a 32nds off (just rusted as hell) and needed a new EGR valve and new line. Rattle sound no more, exhaust leak eliminated. Thank you again for you help, it lead me to the problem and I was able to fix it.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm happy to hear you solved it! This topic will come in handy for the next person with the issue. Chasing gremlins like that can be a pain!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >