Can't clear error code P0232 FUL PMP RLY DVR FL OF

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Albroswift, May 24, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Albroswift

Hello, new guy here. Heard about this forum on Superchargers forum.
    Been trying every other weekend or so to track down solution for this. Posted on 3 other forums over the last couple months.
    Replaced relay, truck runs great, if I clear with scanner it returns instantly or doesn't really clear, when cleared by disconnecting battery and turning on headlights for a while it clears for a couple of minutes and then back. Also throwing the P1000 but assume that won't go away untill I get this other one figured out. Not testing as a shorted wire.

[Broken External Image]: http://Hosting.albroswift.com/images/SCT1.jpg
    SCT1.jpg #ad

Thanks in advance--
    Al

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Check your grounds, that is a sure sign you have a bad ground somewhere in the fuel circuit.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

P1000 will go away regardless of this code, after the PCM has detected the truck has gone through the proper drive cycles to check all emissions functions. Every time you clear codes, the drive cycle is reset, and P1000 will have to start all over again checking emissions.

If there aren't any shorts or ground issues then majority of the time it's the pump module failing (possibly shorting internally) and you need to replace the pump, not the PCM driver to it.

4. Albroswift

Hello, Ken
    Where would you suggest I check grounds that I might have missed (fuel tank, filter)
    The P1000 has not gone away since like forever. 100's of run cycles. That is why I assumed it wouldn't clear until I fixed the P0232, which codes as soon as the key is on (I assume) and has also been going on for a long time. If that's not correct, any idea what could be the problem with the P1000?
    Thanks--
    Al

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

1000 is the start/end run code. it always will show that, even if there are no codes.
    Start with frame ground to body. check the computer ground to fender.
    I'll be honest, I usually work on 97 down trucks, but they are all the same when it comes to being grounded. See if you can geta diagram on the fuel curcuit.

6. Albroswift

Hello, Dusty
    Have a Haynes, got some pretty good diagrams. Pretty clear how the PCM grounds the Fuel Relay and then monitors the current. I'll check the grounds you mention and then hook the multimeter to the wire between the relay to the inertia switch and cycle the ignition switch, see what happens.
    Thanks for pointing me in (a?) (the right?) direction :)
    Al

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It SHOULD go away if the Ford recommended drive cycles are made, and codes aren't cleared. You can't pass emissions with a P1000 code.

Attached Files:

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. Albroswift

Yes, won't pass emissions with P1000 or P0232. I have 2-3 months prior to emissions, trying to sort this out. Thanks for the PDF, looks like on last page it indicates P1000 won't clear if pending code?
    Anyway, back to checking easy stuff. All the grounds were good except PCM to fender, quite a bit of resistance. PCM loose in mount. Made a little jumper from a corner screw on the case to a mounting screw, now zero resistance to fender. Didn't change issue. Code is generated during key on, not running (cleared code while engine running, didn't return until shutting off and back on) Made a little test relay out of an extra one, pulled the cover and soldered on a couple of leads. At key on voltage goes high for about 2 sec and drops to zero, then starts to climb back up slowly to about 0.03 VDC.
    Think that is enough to throw code? Anyway to be sure it's the module/ pump prior remove/ replace?
    Thanks--
    Al
    relay.jpg #ad

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I run a 10 g wire from the negitive post to the fender in my older trucks.
    I also run a 10 g wire from the block up to the firewall in myolder trucks once they get a little age on them and start giving grounding problems.
    I live in the rust belt, so I feel an extra ground or two is a good thing.

10. Albroswift

No rust at all, grounds all 5X5. I'll double check battery post to fender, don't remember specifically if I did that yesterday but frame to fender good, block to fender good. Wondering if the BAP could be leaking the voltage. May disconnect that next trouble shooting session and see what happens.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Also make sure your alternator and battery are in perfect order. Take it to the auto parts store and have them hook up the tester (it'll do more than what we DIY types do with a multi-meter). A bad cell can cause this, bad battery ground or power cables, BAP leaking power when the PCM is not expecting power at the pump, etc.

12. Albroswift

10/4
    Alternator and battery tip top. Shoe-horned in a left handed Odyssey Extreme a couple months ago, re-did the connectors, no reason to suspect the alternator it puts out good charge voltage and error code occurs before engine is spinning anyway. Troubleshoot the BAP I guess before I drop the tank
    (Finished up the remote IAC fabrication last weekend)
    Odyssey1.jpg #ad

13. Albroswift

Hello, again
    Pulled everything apart this morning except for dropping the tank.
    Wiring all tight, grounds all 5X5. replaced a couple of connections that looked suspect but unlikely source of error code.
    Wired in a second relay to ground and isolate the ECM fuel circuit when fuel pump relay goes low. No matter what, if any thing is wrong with fuel pump, fuel pump modulator, boost-a-pump, etc the entire circuit is isolated and grounded when fuel pump relay is off. At that point not possible for any voltage on fuel pump circuit, and tester confirms no voltage, but still get error code. Did I mention truck runs fine. I can clear code when running but next key off / Key on cycle error code returns.
    Not sure what to do next, think I pretty much eliminated any fuel system problems being the cause.
    Help me think outside the box.
    Thanks--
    Al

14. Albroswift

OK-- Checked power on inertia switch, suppose to be on the same circuit as the relay and guess what, power on when key on, not when relay high. Pulled relay, same. When BAP was wired in the wire to the ECU and inertia switch was connected to a Key on/ Power on circuit, not the relay circuit. Changed that, error code gone by by. Kind of strange, last emission test these codes should have been evident but truck passed. Last owner says the tune spoofs the obdii port not to show error codes but I've never heard of that before. They show up on the scanner, but fact is it did pass last time...
    Anyway, thanks for all the pointers, I now have the most grounded and connected rig around!

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That is one very weird and hard to track down problem. I was about to step in here and suggest logging the fuel pump voltage and duty cycle, until I saw you last post.

Extra grounding will actually help lower fuel pump duty cycle, along with larger power wires since overall resistance in the circuit goes down. So it wasn't for naught. :)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >