Carburetor swap on 1972 f100 360

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Dave1969, Jul 4, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dave1969

I am replacing my carburetor on my 1972 f~100 with 360 . It has a motorcraft carb on it with a manual choke. I am replacing it with a reman motorcraft with a auto choke, everything on the carb itself is identical in every way with the exception that it has the automatic choke and is missing one vacuum inlet on the back side of the carb can anyone tell me what issues this may cause and what to do with the extra vacuum hose if it's not necessary. and how well do automatic chokes work on these older engines. Totally lost on this one. Any advice is helpful. Thank you.

Tags:
  2. iicap

Welcome to FTZ. Is auto choke electric or hot air? They work well, just need be set properly cold. Electric, you are going to have to supply battery voltage to the choke coil to make it work. You PROBABLY don't want to tap into the wire that powers your coil, as it Doesn't have battery voltage. If hot air choke, it's heat comes from the R H exhaust manifold or small well in the intake manifold under the new choke housing. Both locations will require tubing to carry the heat accumulated into the choke chamber. At the back of the carb just under the top there may/should be a port for a hose to carry clean filtered air thru the tubing to carry the heat for opening the choke. You should be able to Google search any/all of this.
    Do consider and see if all your manual choke assembly can be put on your rebuilt carb and not use auto choke. So much simpler.

Let us know how you make out or ask if more questions, Cap

3. Dave1969

It is hot air. Seems to be set up all ready with the port you mentioned. Only question I have now is what to do with the vacuum hose that has no home. Do I get a splitter a tie it into another line or just plug it off ? I really don't know what it would go to. The distributor has a vacuum advance line to it and I don't have power anything on the truck

4. iicap

Gee, ya know a picture of the carb and or where the HOSE you mention is located on the carb would be great. I'm confused, is this hose ON the carb as you bought it or ??? Some ports are not used in some applications and should be capped off. Guessing you PCV hose to a valve cover is attached to the intake manifold or the spacer between carb n manifold.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >