Cargo camera 2022 F250

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Merida, Aug 5, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Merida

Hello…Didn’t order the hitch prep package because it would’ve delayed production. Now sorely missing having a cargo camera. Any good aftermarket ideas that I can run through third brake light and use existing screen? Bumper hitch camera works beautifully but I need to be able to see the bed and I’m tired of using the pool noodle on my gooseneck ball! TIA..

2. ifallsguy

I ordered mine with the third brakelight. Not required to order the hitch package.

3. Merida

After I looked at your response I thought about it and realize you’re 100% correct. I remember now the portion with the Camera information and it didn't occur to me when ordering that I would want those cameras, I’ve always driven an extra cab and had no issue seeing the ball. Hindsight, right? Pun intended! Thanks for the reply

ifallsguy likes this.
  4. ifallsguy

I would do some checking to if you can add the camera yourself. Putting it in isn't an issue (except buying it and cable) but I'm not sure if you can actually get it to work with the screen as programed from the factory. Maybe someone has some insight. I'd like to add a front camera, if it could be done.

Merida likes this.
  5. Merida

I agree, I plan to ask a Ford friend just to find out if it’s even possible. Most of the add-on cameras I’ve seen would entail using a second monitor which I don’t want to do. I may just have to learn how to back up to exactly the right spot!

6. Obe Vet Zone

Dollars to doughnuts the harness for connecting the cargo camera is back there somewhere. They typically don't install different harnesses, they just don't install what hooks up to the harness. So find the harness, then just buy the replacement third brake light with the camera. Sync will see it.

The problem with any camera systems on any vehicle is that states have distracted driving laws that forbid any video in view of the driver (some exceptions are a camera used for safety). So any time a vehicle goes over a specified speed limit, the camera function is disabled. That kind of takes the advantage away from a bed camera where you want to look to see if the load is still secure or using a trailer backup camera to view what is behind you when driving like a rear-view mirror. One way around this is to install a Naviks harness at the Sync module that works around the system that turns off the cameras. I installed one on my 2019 F-250 so I can view any camera while driving (but mainly wanted it to monitor the trailer back-up camera and the bed camera while driving). The downside is that you cannot use the GPS driving directions while monitoring a camera (the GPS loses track of your location when monitoring a camera) and map updates require you to remove the harness in order to install the updates. The GPS driving directions work normally if not monitoring a camera in motion. This is not a problem for me because the 2019 F-250 came with a passenger vehicle GPS so I have to use an aftermarket GPS designed for hauling a trailer when hooked up to the RV.

2017 - 2021 Ford F-250 / F-350 / F-450 / F-550 Super Duty (SYNC 3 v2 - v3.4) Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera In Motion Bypass + Nav In Motion Lockout Bypass + Video Interface (naviks.com)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Greg Owen and Merida like this.
  7. Merida

Pretty interesting information, the overrides a good idea. That’s a pretty cool site!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >