Catalytic Converter Theft

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by RunningRigging, Mar 8, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RunningRigging

OK, so, I just saw a news article that reported the rash of catalytic converter thefts. A vehicle like ours, with a high ground clearance, is especially attractive to these dirty, low-down, POS thieves.
    So what are y'all doing to deter these thefts? First thing that came to my mind was several large rat traps under the truck, but I don't like the idea of such devices unattended. Don't want any poor squirrel, raccoon, or opossum caught up in my paranoia. Thoughts? :)
    Gary ( '22 F250 7.3 XLT SCLB )

Tags:
  2. Biffster

I bought the CatStrap system. It included the alarm and the strap. I bought a bunch of muffler clamps to attach the strap. I go fishing and will be at some remote ramps, that is why I got it.

vtracib likes this.
  3. RunningRigging

Very cool! Thanks for the lead. It's on the shopping list! :)
    g

4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Not too much of a problem being out here away from the metro areas, with no intention of getting closer to them. I have $0 deductible on all of the rigs so it would be covered.
    I'm really more worried about fuel now. Ordering locking fuel caps for all of the rigs, but not sure what good it will do....Several people we know, along with a logging outfit have been hit with fuel, both gas and diesel theft, in the last couple of weeks. What has occurred with the pickups and cars is that the scum bags are poking holes in the gas tanks. They aren't even trying to siphon them. A couple of those folks did have locking fuel door covers and / or locking gas caps.

captchas likes this.
  5. captchas

same even with cat theft becoming very high around my area thanks to the junk price of the contents i'm more worried about fuel, esp when we have stations like this one in new jersey posting super price gaugeing and normal every day at $5.00 for reg gas and $6.00 for diesel

Bedminster gas price 1.jpg #ad

6. Obe Vet Zone

Even the Ford Dealerships are getting hit...

FROM THE NEWSROOM: (PUTNAM) Seventeen catalytic converters were stolen from a local car dealership about two weeks ago, confirms the Owner of Putnam Ford.
    The thieves entered the lot of Putnam Ford, 3 Park Road in Putnam between the hours of 1:13 a.m. and 2:24 a.m. on the morning of Thursday, March 10th.
    A total of seventeen catalytic converters were taken from various SUV’s and trucks on the sales lot.
    The dealership says the total loss amounts to $32,000 and some of the vehicles will be required to be pulled from sales for approximately two months as they wait for the new parts to come in.
    State Police confirm that they were notified and responded to the dealership shortly before 8:30 a.m. on March 10th to begin an investigation.
    The investigation into the incident remains open and active.
    The dealership says they have submitted surveillance footage of the burglary to State Police.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That dealership is padding the cost big time, probably for insurance purposes. Not surprising, they'll use it to make more!

DonW likes this.
  8. Obe Vet Zone

May be, but these thieves are not removing the cats with surgical precision. Most of the time they are using cordless reciprocating saws and cutting everything in the way so it’s not just the cats that are damaged. Other parts of the exhaust are often cut and need to be replaced too. The cat, down pipe, center pipe, o2 sensor/s, plus labor - you would pay far more than $1,882 to replace all that on your vehicle.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >