Chevy trucks and suvs

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Aug 23, 2016.

?

Do you fit into one of the categories?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm throwing this out to get some feedback....

How many of you fit into one or more of these categories?

You own a Chevy truck or suv.
    or
    You have previous or current repair knowledge/experience with Chevy trucks or suvs.
    or
    Whether or not you currently own one, you like (or are an enthusiast of) Chevy trucks or suvs?

The poll is anonymous for those who'd rather not admit it!

Tags:
  2. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Not a Chevy (or GM...) fan at all, but most of the farmers around here use Chevy's so I work on a ton more of them than fords.........sigh.....

I've only owned 2 GM products. A 1958 Chevy Impala 2 door hard top with a 409, and a 1966 GTO with a YS 400. Both I regret selling and would love to have another...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

My first car was a Pontiac and have always driven a GM product. Only had one Ford before these 56's , it was a 75 Ranchero and one of the most troublesome vehicle I owned, loved the looks of it though and wish I had it now. My dad always cursed Fords so that might have some bearing on my decisions , I'm hoping this 351 w is going to be a good choice for this pickup I'm doing..

JWC 3 likes this.
  4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Use to own gm. Work on a bunch of them.

56panelford likes this.
  5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I own a 68 chevy step side, and a 46 chevy pick up
    I have also a number of other gm cars.
    1 is a 1965 Pontiac Tempest convertible
    cars collect me.

56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
  6. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have knowledge of GM products.................I don't dislike them, but I prefer Ford strongly.
    GM.................Better than Dodge or Yota.

56panelford likes this.
  7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

We currently have a big Chevy with a horse box on the back. Fits 6 horses. Had a 65 Ford C Series Cabover for quite a while.

I started out "life" with a 1957 Pontiac Starchief. Was not much of a girl magnet in High School when I had to compete with Chargers, Mustangs, Goats and SuperBee's. Forks had a Ford Ranch Wagon. Dad sold it on me when I was in the Navy. Said it was taking up too much room in the Machine Shed.

I picked up a 69 Red with black hood Mach 1 Mustang in Hawaii and a 350 Honda in Japan. After I was back home, my 69 Mach 1 had a close encounter of the unwanted kind with a deer.

The Mach 1 was replaced with a new 77 Firebird Formula. Never had many problems with that GM after I got rid of the OEM Firestone tires that came on it. Had to replace the water pump and I cussed the spark plug on the Pax side back by the firewall every time I had to change it. Pretty much flawless and I got to "race" it number of times as the "squirrel" in Police Pursuit Course Training on the closed track. It would leave the Pontiac LeMans Police Package in the dust. Did have some hinge problems with the big doors on it. When the HS kids ran into the back of my wife, the 'bird gave its life protecting her.
    So, we got a brand new 1986 Pontiac Grand Am Special Edition Custom Order. (Kids were kind of causing problems with the pure sports car thing) Only had 2 problems with it. At 36K miles the Cam Shaft Sensor went out and left my wife stranded on I5 at MP 126. (No cell phone days - only Doctors and Lawyers carried those BC 611 type bricks) And then we kept having a chronic dead battery which was traced to a bad switch that left the trunk light on all the time.

The 3rd child came along so we then we somehow ended up in a "the price is right" full sized Chevrolet Conversion Van. Had a 305 and was grossly under powered as far as I was concerned, but it was dual purpose, big enough for the family, not bad on gas mileage and could be a lot of fun in the mountains or the beach when the kids were left behind.
    As much as I hate to admit it (I think), with the exception of the Mach 1 and a 97 Merc Sable (and the MIL's Mazda Protégé we have now inherited) all of our cars GM's. Pontiac (2) Chev (1) and Buicks (3) and 1 Cadillac Fleetwood (never again). Luck of the draw and what we could afford more than anything.

I was trying really hard to get into a Ford car when I bought the Buick Lucerne 3 years ago. I was actually on the lot sitting in the Ford, engine started and going on a test drive when another salesman came running out saying he had just taken a credit card down payment over the phone on an internet sale so I couldn't have it. My salesman thought it was funny when I said "Possession is nine tenths of the law". The other salesman - not so much.

Pickups are a different story.....Never had anything but Fords. Folks had an International when I was a young kid, but they also had their Ford Pickup too.

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Forgot to mention that I've had two boats with Chevy motors, 305 and currently a now "blown" 350.....does that count?

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

He said chevy truck, or suv
    You can list ALL yer toys tho.......:giggle:anim

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm basically trying to find out if we'd have enough support for a small core to get "Chevy Truck Zone" off the ground. I've had the domain for years, might as well put it to use!

JWC 3 likes this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

GASP!!!!
    Ken's gonna use us to start up anudder one!!!!

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I could go with it. I have passed my gm days, but work on them all the time. Not a hater. Just like my Ford's.

56panelford likes this.
  13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I really know nothing about Chev trucks and outside the boat motors, don't work much on the Chevy's. The horse truck hasn't been much more than change the plugs, wires, oil and filters and, of course keep the 454 fed for quite some time now.

14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Other than being more "car-like" than truck, I have nothing against Chevy trucks, the plant gets good use out of their 1/2 ton Chevy's, the heavy stuff though is done by Fords.

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've had the domain name, paying for it for darn near 15 years, and have done nothing. I have a bunch of domains I've been sitting on for a long time, and this year I've been letting them either expire or putting them use.

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >