6.7 ticking after oil change

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Fordsprint92, Jan 15, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Fordsprint92

Question, Have a 2017 F250 Lariat 6.7. 2021 had it in for an oil change. After getting it home and then had to return so they could clean the oil residue form the filter and arms. A day later when started , there was a ticking sound like a typewriter. Took it back and they kept it for 4 days but always seemed to forget the scan tool when starting it up and by the time they got it plugged in, it would quit. Never got an answer. Online research seemed to point to system cavitation following oil change because they don't like to prefill the filter. This past oil change I stated there to ensure that was done and the oil residue cleaned off and low and behold, no ticking sound. They said not filling the quart and half filter would have no effect, b ut that is something I have always done with all my vehicles as I was taught by a 32 year Ford mechanic (not a TECH) who just happened to be my father. Anyone else experience this? OBTW, I've pretty much maintained my vehicles myself with advice from that mechanic for the past 54 years.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It is possible that the ticking sound you heard was caused by system cavitation, but I lean more towards the check valve in the filter is faulty if it happens only immediately after startup. If you stop the engine, wait a few seconds and start it again, does it still happen?

3. Fordsprint92

Yes after it warmed it would go away. But did it after different oil changes at the dealer. Now this last one it didn't but Ford also changed the filter number used. And, I made them fill the filter before installing. That is a lot oil before sending it throughout the engine.

DonW likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

From what I've found, the newer filter number uses full synthetic filter material, versus the old synthetic/paper filter. It also has more pleats than the older number. Check valve is the same, so it's not drainback, and the newer filter should flow better due to more pleats.

5. Black Oval

How can a vertical mounted filter drain back, check valve or not?

DonW likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Didn't know the 6.7 had a vertical mount, not all Ford engines do. I don't own or know the details of all of them. :)

For instance, the modular V8's have a filter at a diagonal angle that lets about 2/3rds drain, 6.0L diesel is on top of the engine in a chamber. Echoboost 3.5 is completely horizontal.

Black Oval likes this.
  7. Black Oval

6.7L is mounted vertical, at least the 2022 is. I see a lot of posts online about “drain back” and the ticking or “typewriter” sound on start up. A 6.7L filter will not drain back, it can’t unless there is a vacuum within the crankcase upon power down which I doubt BUT, who knows what these emission choked engines are doing.

8. DonW

Do you really think “emission” cause these engines (some of these engines) to tick after an oil change? Could it be some of these engines “ticking” could in fact be the same engines that the filters were not filled when changing, or is it just more of the inconsistency of these trucks. I.E. transmission re-calls. Some never have a problem and some are never repaired!

9. Black Oval

No, I don’t think emissions has anything to do with the “ticking”. The noise some are experiencing must be the lifter noise with no or very low oil pressure after start up. I personally do not prefill my filters and haven’t experienced the noise either. If it is lifter noise, then they should all make the noise after an overnight sleep and I don’t hear it on my 6.7L. My Wife’s 6.2L Chevy will do some chattering every morning though for about 5 seconds until it builds oil pressure. Guess I’m at a loss on the 6.7 noise. I just don’t know

DonW likes this.
  10. DonW

Like I’ve said before….they’re a ford! Hard ride, noisy..nature of the beast.

11. Black Oval

Hahahah, sounds like my Wife

DonW likes this.
  12. DonW

Oh Lord Lord, I can't believe you said that!!!!!

Black Oval likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >