chip delays

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by SuperDtyFL, Mar 19, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. SuperDtyFL

More chip delays at Ford and GM. Not sure I want to buy a vehicle now until a little normal gets back to operations. Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They're saying the short probably won't end until the 4th quarter, 2021. It really comes to down how comfortable you are waiting, versus any concerns about parts availability if you need warranty work.

If it were me I'd wait until it's over because right now there's more demand than supply, so price bargaining power is on the dealer's side of the fence. I know someone who just took delivery of a truck he ordered 173 days ago!

3. ifallsguy

GM is building vehicles without the chips and have admitted the chips cannot be put into the modules later. Ends up cutting down MPG by about 14%. Ford claims to have enough chips to keep building trucks right now. Don't know how long that will last, but figure if they build without them, you will see MPG effected.

Chip makers are estimating 4-6 months at the earliest to get supply back up. Makes you wonder about the 2022 SD trucks.

Here is an article on the chip shortage:

Chip Shortage Continues To Take Toll With Ford, Nissan Idling Several US Production Sites (msn.com)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. SuperDtyFL

173 days; Yikes! I'm going to have to order mine since supercab Lariats are uncommon in Florida. Given the many production delays, I am unfortunately going to wait some before I place the order. Pricing shouldn't be an issue since I will use the X plan anyway. I just ordered some new tires for my 2007 Chevy Avalanche which is doing great for it's age, but just struggles with heavy hauls and towing.

5. SuperDtyFL

I saw a similar GM article the other day and then today I started seeing more Ford related articles like this one:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...0210319-xji4kzf765a3roqfzzqtzeiz7q-story.html

Not a good situation and one that may force manufacturers to get sub-standard quality chips.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

And what doesn't help buyers with this is whatever supply they can get, Ford says they are prioritizing them for higher profit margin models.

SuperDtyFL likes this.
  7. DonW

Sucks but really can you blame them?

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Exactly! They are taking a sales hit so they gotta make it up where they can.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >