Cleaning Out Years Of Gunk From A Motor

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Truck Runner, Dec 30, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Truck Runner

I have an old Yamaha 650 twin engine in the garage, got it from my father, you can turn it but it's been sitting without running for almost 20 years and the oil has all but turned into tar. What's the best way to get this thing cleaned and ready to bring back to life? I'm thinking of making a two seater off road go-cart with it.

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Fill the crank case, valve areas up with Marvel Mystery Oil, or Transmission fluid. Both have detergent qualities and a good soaking for several days will get most anything out. I'd fog/mist the cylinders too with Kroil or similar. After it's soaked long enough to dissolve everything visible, letting it drain completely. I'd then put in a fresh oil filter, some cheap oil (since it won't be in there long) and let it run for about 15-20 minutes. Drain that oil, replace it with another new oil filter and put in good oil.

3. Truck Runner

Thanks. Anyone else?

56panelford likes this.
  4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Nothing to add..............this is spot on.

56panelford likes this.
  5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Yup ... Marvel Mystery oil . I would add .. Pull the plugs and fill the chambers also . Leave them full , plugs out .
    After a few days turn the engine 1/4 turn . Next day repeat . Go 2 full turns .
    Only thing I have to add .

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso