Cleaning The Cowl Drains on a 1980-1996 F Series

Discussion in 'Body and Exterior' started by dustybumpers, Feb 2, 2016.

By dustybumpers on Feb 2, 2016 at 11:09 AM
  1. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Sadly, there is a drain that needs to be cleaned on our trucks that no one knows about
    In the 80-86 trucks, the cowl panel had large louvers, and it is really important on that series truck to clean these drains
    Starting in 87, Ford went with holes instead of the louvers, but the pine needels and small leaves still manage to get in there

The example truck is a 94 parts truck, that has the fender already removed, so it makes it easier to see the drain.
    I also took the pictures from the inner fender of another 94 truck, but all 80-96 trucks are similar

Lets get started
    First, we remove the small screws on the plastic inner fender

089.JPG
    side screws

090.JPG

2 next top screws

091.JPG

I then take a vice grip, and hook to the bottom of the panel, and pull it down with a bungie cord, and fasten it, so I can get my arms up inside behind the fender in front of the door

You are looking for this rubber drain ( that don't work)
    083.JPG

There are 2 plastic plugs holding it on, pry it off with the proper tool

086.JPG

you will notice plenty of dirt inside

087.JPG

088.JPG

Clean it out, both sides of truck. Passenger side drops right into fresh air of heater box, and will flood heater, driver's side is behind computer on 87-96, and will fry your computer

Once it's clean and dry, I treat with some rubberized undercoating, and put the "drain" back on

I service this area about every 5 years on the "outside" trucks

Tags:

Comments

Discussion in 'Body and Exterior' started by dustybumpers, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Truck Runner
      Truck Runner
      That's some nasty stuff. I wonder if you could power blast it with high pressure water to get most of it out?
    2. dustybumpers
      dustybumpers
      A regular garden hose washes it out pretty quick.
    3. dustybumpers
    4. alanazon
      alanazon
      On my 1996 F250 the fastest, easiest way to unclog those cowl duck bill rubber drains is to crawl under the truck and literally grab them with your hand. No tools required.

Once you've found the right place, it's pretty easy to just reach up and around and grab the duck bills and squeeze/dig out the packed crud with your fingers.

Mine were clogged solid with mud and organic material that had basically turned to adobe brick over the years, so high-pressure water didn't work. And my plastic inner fenders were unfortunately far too stiff and brittle from years in California to use the suggested method in the above thread.

Pro tip: wear goggles or safety glasses as that crud will fall and bounce everywhere.

You can flush with a regular garden hose a couple of times in between digging them out with your hand, to make sure you've got every speck of dirt out.

The 1996 F250 drains are not difficult to reach from underneath the truck (the driver's side does require a bit more contorting and finding the correct angle to get in there). I can't speak for other years, but I'd love to hear back from the 80-95 people to see if it works for you.
    5. DaisyTx
      DaisyTx
      Thanks, Man! Exactly what has been the source of my problems!