Clutch problem 33 V8 woodie

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by captchas, Jul 29, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. captchas

got a job finding out how to fix a clutch issue on a buddy's 33 v8 woodie with a 37 21 stud replacement factory ford engine, "yes the id plate states ford mc with a serial number" it simply won't release fully . "bad enough the transmission is a non syncro unit "
    we have installed a New disc and plate, new pilot ball bearing To bearing , pedal bushings , t.o. shaft bushings no matter what we do it simply will not release fully,

i'm down to where we may pull the transmission again and replace the kit from mac's with one from van pelt .just pulling a transmission in old ford is a one big pain, unbolt the rear springs and rear and all move back to unhook the torque tube, from the transmission . pull the seats, remove the floor board, pull the transmission out from inside the car . "this is how ford 's shop manual states to " other wise it's pull the engine and transmission as a unit ,which is s bigger pain as the front end sheet metal has to come off first

anyone with any ideas??

Tags:
  2. captchas

should note the plate is a long style , with the inspection/ TO lube cover off i can see the plate flex like it's bending . first plate i got from mac's was a RB and had a cracked arm. no issue installing the transmission making me doubt we bent the disc going in .

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Is it the correct flywheel.?
    I got two incorrect pressure plates in a row one time also. .....

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

One other thought .... No chance you can install the disc backwards...... I've seen that before. Not familiar with your set up.

5. captchas

disc has springs sticking up so it can't go in backwards. just seems like it won't release all the way, flywheel? is what came with the car ,so i don't know much more,
    it's more of a who knows since the motor is a very old ford factory replacement "ford id plate riveted to the bell area" of the 33 with a 37 21 stud that has special casting covers for the lower water pumps ford made to adapt the 37 into a 32 to 36 with the early heads that mount the water pumps in the heads.

seems like i might be down to yet another disc /plate kit from van pelt not form mac's

6. captchas

had a long phone call with van pelts about the problem, got a new set coming ,advise from them was maybe?? the flywheel has had many recuts done to it, if too thin it may?? move the plate to far from the TO and with limited arm movement not be allowed to fully release. ex would be if it was turned 2 or 3 times the flywheel could possibly by 1/8th inch away from where it needs to be
    ANY thoughts to that ??

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Possibly.... Time to take detailed measurements while apart. Be sure before reassembling.
    Possibly a stupid question... What kind of thrust bearing does the engine use ... Too much clearance pushing the crank forward . I've seen flexplates break because of that. Just a thought.

8. captchas

very good ?, 3 mains with center main as the thrust, 37 was the first year of insert bearings not poured babbit , guess i'll be checking it tomorrow when we pull the transmission and rear end

9. captchas

3 old men each over 70 today took it apart today, what we didn't find wrong,, cross shaft for the t/o bearing very well worn out , tapered pin that holds the t.o. arm to the shaft cracked in half, transmission case bushings worn out, i mean 1/4 inch side play worn, t.o bearing not fully seated on the holder, wrong shaft arm to the linkage for a 39 not a 33 or 34 , shaft had been drilled out to make it slotted, what a cluster by some tech in CA the PO had work on it . lead east and deadmans curve shows nearby this weekend and we want to drive it to each one
    thanks to vanpelt i'll have the parts by thursday hopefully back together friday

7511-clutcharms.jpg #ad

10. captchas

for a note.if working on a oldie, take a lot of time to measure and check/inspect each part for wear, old ford clutch shafts were made of rolled round steel and wear on two sides, the drilled holes do along gate. the case bushings and shaft wear, left to the front from the push and right from rear ward thrust of the push, the t.o arm is held in by a single pin,it can crack where it's not view-able. pilot bearings even a tiny bit tight can cause drag , the t.o bearing must be pressed fully on the holder.it has a small shoulder that it seats on , the replacement we got from vanpelts the cross shaft is a solid bar, new transmission case cross shaft bushings had to be honed to fit with a small brake cylinder hone when installed. replace all parts and i mean everything . shaft,bushings, t.o arm. shaft pins, t.o bearing,pilot bearing, every pin, don't take any chances with anything. plus when reinstalling the rear you will find FOUR men make doing the job easier . 2 too push ,one to left the front one to align the torque tube universal into the transmission .

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >