compressing springs on a Mustang I ifs (without dying or killing paint)

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Aug 24, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

I needed to tear down my front suspension to repair some paint problems... dreaded spring removal... I first tried with an internal compressor and could never get it where I liked it.... bought externals and couldn't get them in place because of the lower tubular control arm...nice waste (for sale... external spring compressors )

finally assembled the internal INSIDE the spring (that was fun) after modifying it and got them done...

after paint I don't want to mess it up so I'm looking for ideas/suggestions/new contraptions/flux converters.... WHATEVER I can find to make this job easier/safer and not screw up the paint again.....

also kicking around the idea of powder coat on control arms and springs again after sand blast...

I'm listening !!!

john

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I take it that your frame is bare at the moment?

3. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

yep...no counterweight

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That 460 you have would make a good one, why not get all your paint work or powder coating done ,set your frame on jack stands and put the motor in then play with the control arms. I would think there would be enough wait to jack up the control arm. If not place a 2x4 from the frame up to the ceiling in form of a T to allow a bit more pressure to hold things down.

5. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

thanks John... of course the frame is bare... and the frame is also out of the garage which is full of cab and bed and all the other crap in the way... the frame is painted pretty and I"m trying to figure out a way to use a floor jack... strap the body of the jack to the frame rail and then use the jack arm to push the lower control arm up till I can get the spindle bolted up.... the more I think about it... I think I'll tool block my self before I ever get there... Probably mounting the engine would be easier but that's only about 700-800 # and might not be enough counterweight

I wonder... other than using threaded rod through the spring (which is the good way) if there is a way to somehow connect the ends of the control arms together..... nah, that won't work ... if I do that I can't get the spindle on !!!!! ##%^&*%##! I think I'm gonna pick up some 5/8 threaded rod and fab up a lower plate that will straddle the lower control arm hole and crank it into place...all this without destroying painted surfaces on top hat, spring, control arms and spindle... and of course keeping all my bodily fluids inside my body... regular car work is easier than street rods and such... all the underneath stuff doesn't matter if it gets scratched or chipped.

later
    j

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

You could do as Charlie suggested earlier in you other post, pad the ends of your frame rails and hook it under your suburban then jack your control arm up with the floor jack.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That's how I've done it all 5 times I've done it.
    Works great
    If there's no body on the frame, you will have to put some weight on the back of the frame to counterweight it, otherwise, it will raise the frame instead of compress the spring

56panelford likes this.
  8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Good morning Charlie, good to see you are awake....:)..lol

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Been up since 4
    Go check out the 2-3-4 word game

;):woot::muted:

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I noticed your presence there Charlie. :)

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Probably be short lived...............

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'm sure all is forgiven.:)

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

not on my part

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Hang in there Charlie.:)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso