Compression readings

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Charles, Nov 23, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Charles

Can anyone tell me what good compression readings are on a 2005 F150 5.4 Triton.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Depends on the miles on the engine, but if it has some miles on it look for 145-150 psi with 5% variance between cylinders. How many miles does it have?

3. Charles

It has 172000. I did a compression check on it and its between 175 165 across the board.

4. Charles

Heres my problem. I had a timing chain guide break on me so I replaced all my timing compents with Oem Ford stuff 1100 dollars worth get it all back together and it has a dead miss in it somewhere. So I thought maybe my timing was off a tooth so took it all back apart and retimed it still has a dead miss. Drive it down the road give it half throttle just boggs down. No check engine light either. Ive swapped injectors coils pluggs vvts cam sensors still same results. Im at a lost with it. Ran fine before it blew a hole in my valve cover from the chain slapping it.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Sounds like a bad coil pack. Should be throwing a code for that cylinder

6. Charles

Ive replaced all the coils. No check engine light

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Those are excellent compression readings for that mileage, darn near new.

Checked for any vacuum leaks?

8. Charles

I have looked every where on the thing. I bought the truck 2 years ago and have only been able to put 2000 miles on it I have replaced the engine in it cause the cams and cam journals were straved for oil and were all grooved up. Get this engine in it and having problems still. I noticed when I put the scanner on it my fuel trim was real high on bank 2 like reading 27 to 30 and I think they are pose to read single digits.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >