compression test HELP

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by cptmiker, Jul 6, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. cptmiker

Hello all this may be in here some place I did a search but did not find it.

I have a 1997 f250 5.4L I need to do a compression test. But I can not seem to find a compression test adapter that will reach the spark plug threads.

This is an unmodified 5.4L with no issues with plug blow out. so the heads are still stock.

I would like to purchase a long test adapter but all I am able to find if for 2003 and above test adapters. will they work or is there one that others have used. I cant afford Snap on.

Just a note on issue. Misfire on CYL8
    truck runs fine when cold but shimmies and shakes when it warms up. at all speeds except when I hammer the gas.

I know I can just just swap the coil pack and see if it moves but I would like to do a compression test since the truck as 233k miles on it runs fine till warmed up. and Plenty O power when I put my foot in it.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The newer 3V heads in the later 5.4 use a different spark plug and use 14mm thread with a log snout at the end,

The 5.4L 2V heads in your truck should be able to use standard 14mm thread adapters, the kind without the added snout.

3. cptmiker

standard 14x1.25 will not reach the threads in the hole. I have tryed. It needs to be a long reach adapter. But i want to make sure i get the correct one as not to damage the threads and also not penitrate in to the cyl and posible damage the top of the pistion when i do a compression test.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso