CONSIDERING BUYING 2013 F150 SUPERCREW 4X4

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Jerry"s new F250, Apr 17, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jerry"s new F250

Would anyone be able to point out what to look out for? It's got a 5.4 with 120,000 plus miles, good tires nice wheels, good interior, lots of good stuff. It had been hit and it was rebuilt and as a result it has a salvage title. Price asking is $17,500 but I'm sure that's negotiable. Without title issue, kbb says about $23,000. Looks very nice. My concern would be the engine and/transmission. Is there a way I could find out if there a pending problem?
    Thank you

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Fist thing, call your insurer and find out if they cover a truck with a salvage tittle
    Many don't
    second, I would take the truck somewhere I trust, and pay to have it checked out.

even if you decide against the truck, it will be money well spent.

If the person who has the truck says no to taking it to a mechanic, RUN away, and keep looking

Jerry"s new F250 likes this.
  3. Jerry"s new F250

Thanks! I didn't even think about the insurance issue.
    Now "we" have found a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. It's a California truck so it doesn't have the rust issues they have around here. But it has 160,000 miles and I would be concerned with the engine/transmission same as I would be with the F150. This one is a 4.o liter w/automatic transmission. Is the 2001 full of problems or is it an OK vehicle
    thank you for any advice.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Truecar.com lists actual selling prices, and that F150 seems on the high side with a salvage title compared to other 2013's with 120,000 to 130,000 miles. What is the trim level (XLT, FX4, etc)?

Same with the Explorer Sport Trac, it's hard to judge prices, etc. without knowing the trim level.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

2001 first year for the overhead cam 4.0
    Good motor, transmission a little weak

Have you tried shopping car guru? They are pretty good and on time with pricing. Even when shopping for new

6. Jerry"s new F250

Thank you again. It's really welcome to have other opinions and advice from people who know what they are talking about. I think I will slow down and not get so excited about something different. After all, I still have my "New F250" (a 2002 bought new) However I did drive the Sport Trac and it was in really good shape for a 2001 and for 160,000 miles, but I wasn't that impressed with the way it handled. I don't think it will make my short list.
    If it's alright, I would like to ask more questions when I find something else.......thanks!

7. BKW Founding Member

2013 F150 will not have the 5.4L V8. It will either have the 5.0L or the 6.2L V8 if it has the max tow package.

But, it may not have a V8, it could also have the 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost or the 3.7L V6.

The 5.4L went bye-bye at the end of the 2010 model run, the 5.0L 'Coyote' replaced it.

I bought a new 2011 F150 5.0L 2WD Lariat Stupor Crew. MSRP: $39,990.00

However, I would not buy a vehicle with a salvage title, because once a vehicle has it, it's stuck with it for life.

People "in the know" would never buy a salvage title vehicle, they are worth 1000's less and are very hard to resell, unless you find a sucker.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  8. Jerry"s new F250

Yup...I am going to keep looking. The owner of the '13 told me it was a 5.4. It could be that he doesn't know about such things. It could be something else too.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, Carfax reports raise all kinds of alerts about those. Every time I've seen one flagged by them even if it looks like it is a fantastic deal I think to myself "there's a reason the price is so low".

10. masakimm Vet Zone

We see salvaged titked vehicles all the time here in mo they hold pretty good value here. And they reduce ur personal property taxes by a large amount.

11. BKW Founding Member

Salvaged titled vehicles in CA are harder to sell than tire chains in July!

I have no idea how a salvaged titled vehicle would reduce a persons personal property taxes by any amount. To me, this makes no sense at all.

Maybe all the sellers of salvage titled vehicles should move to the "Show Me" state.

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Probably it's the ad valorem taxes on it. Here in Alabama they base in on a preset value table when we renew our license plate tag, might be in Missouri they have a lower value according to the state. Just a guess.

13. masakimm Vet Zone

Well in mo u have to pay a right to own your vehicle tax every year along with ur registration. So a salvaged title reduces the value for tax purposes. but the value they tax u on is different from what it will sell for.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >