Coolant Help

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by CapeMay609, Nov 14, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. CapeMay609

Hey guys, I have a 2006 f150 lariat 5.4 triton I just purchased a few months back with 80,000 miles on it.

I recently have been hearing a gurgling or even a water sound from under my dash board on cold mornings. Note I don't even use my heat or air conditioner and I drive about two miles to work, park my car and turn it off and for a minute or so I hear gurgling or a slushing noise. Note some days I don't hear it when it's 60 degrees out and warm for the day.

Now a week ago I took it to the dealer and they said yes your heater plugs were clogged, they fixed that and I can now still hear the noise....

So I have been searching around and allot of website have been saying that it's my coolant level. Now I just drove to work and here is a pic of my coolant level. I'm just new to all of this guys and if you cold give me some advise please do so, thank you

(Also what kind of coolant should I buy?)
    (I live near a Walmart, Napa, autozone and advanced auto parts)

image.jpeg #ad

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

That shouldn't be low enough to make any difference in anything. But, just to be on the safe side, topping it off is a good idea. I would think any that is the same color would work. You can find Motorcraft at most parts places now, and even Walmart. Just make sure it's for the truck you have. There may be a slight difference between gas and diesel coolants. I know diesels have to have additive added to prevent cavitation. That shouldn't be an issue with gas engines. You can buy it either already mixed 50/50, or you can buy anti-freeze that you have to mix distilled water with to get it to the desired strength you need.

3. CapeMay609

Thank you , when you say topping it off do you suggest I get the 50/50 kind because I'm only putting in a little bit?

4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Yes. Just fill it to the safe range in the tank.

What I have experienced with my trucks, (all diesels) is no matter how many times I top them off, they run about a half inch below the BOTTOM line of the safe range. They usually find that level after about a week of driving. So I quit topping them off and keep driving them. Never had the funny sounds that you speak of. Or got hot.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

First, make sure the pressure cap on the coolant overflow tank is good. When the engine is warm and you slowly loosen it you should hear air pressure hissing out. If not, replace the cap.

If that's not the problem.... if either the radiator or the heater core has air in it, you'll get those gurgling noises. Even those the 5.4's cooling system is designed to be self-purgine, air can still get trapped in either the heater core or radiator. With a cold engine, fill the coolant level to just above the low mark. Start and let the engine warm up completely. If you see the level change quite a bit, there's air in it. The reason is fluid volume doesn't change much with heat, but any air in the cooling system will expand/contract more significantly with temperature changes.

If you find it has air in it, the procedure for burping it:
    Make sure the fluid level is slightly above the low mark, on a cool engine. Warm the engine up. Slowly and very carefully loosen the coolant reservoir cap. Fluid and air should flow into in it from the cooling system, or you'll see the opposite, depending on where the air is in the system, the level will drop. Continue until there's no air pressure in the reservoir. Shut the engine off. Add coolant back until it gets to the lower fill level. Tighten the cap. You may need to go through this procedure a few times.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  6. CapeMay609

Thank you very much I will try this tomorrow, but overall is this something that has to be fixed ASAP? Like this problem I'm having could it do overall damage to the truck?

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

8. CapeMay609

Just to keep anyone who is viewing this up to date, so I drove to work this morning it's about a two mile drive, halfway there I crank my heat up, got to work, parks my truck and heard the noise I've been hearing allot faster and louder, and after saying a few choice words I turn off the heat and my truck and then hear the same noise I've been hearing after my truck is off (which is the water sound noise)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >