Veterans Zone Credit Monitoring

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by F350-6, Jun 22, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

With all the hacks of fed and vet data going on, how many have or are considering some sort of credit monitoring as a precaution?

Good or bad experiences anyone can share on this subject?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Credit monitoring all they do is put a fraud alert on your credit accounts. The credit agencies then alert you if there is anything going on. Fraud alerts expire every 90 days. The monitoring companies renew it automatically, and charge you through the nose for it. Credit companies tried to sue to get them to stop this, but lost.

The best thing you can do is a credit freeze. Depending on your state it's either free or $5/year. No one can pull your credit report with a freeze, apply for credit, etc. Any time you want to apply for credit you go online, unfreeze it for however long you need to, or get a one time use PIN to give to whoever wants to pull your credit. We've been doing this for years. :)

3. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

How exactly does the unfreeze work if you decide you want to finance something? Do you have to first ask which credit agency they use and unfreeze that particular one? I can remember a situation where I asked an auto dealer which credit agency they used to run my credit when co signing on a car for my daughter. They could give me my credit score and results, but couldn't tell me which agency they used.

4. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

They will typically call you to confirm you is who you is and now days, the seller has to provide you with the credit information that they pulled...in toto.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The way I have it set up you have to unfreeze it at the agency they are pulling your credit report from. But if you're not sure which agency they use you can unfreeze it at all three.

You can select how long its unfrozen, if you only want it unfrozen for one creditor, if you want them to need a temporary PIN or not. You can unfreeze it online, via fax or an 800 number.

We had ID theft about 10 years ago, it wasn't serious someone used our card number and the credit card company took care of it. We decided to freeze it then and have been trouble free every year.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide
    http://www.clarkhoward.com/credit-freezes-frequently-aske2

If you aren't familiar with Clark Howard, he's the longest running syndicated consumer/saving advocate show on the radio (and on TV but not as long as he decades long radio career).

6. wpnaes Southwest Chapter

My wife received a years worth free after the Target store breech. She has since renewed on our dime. I'm skeptical of the value and wondering how many of us get sucked into the auto-renewal vortex.

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I subscribe to Experian...mainly because it has a pretty big data center here and I watch it very closely. I am proud to say that my FICO vacillates each month between 838 and 850. Currently at 850.

It changes due to credit card usage. I pay for most things via credit card and pay off the card(s) each month. Some months show big purchase gains and that will knock me down a few points. My wife does the same and enjoys a high rating as well. When she leased her current car the sales guy said he had never seen a credit score as high as hers.

Interesting thing about credit scoring. They do not concern themselves with your earnings. Just how you manage your credit. It is up to the lender to determine if you can handle the debt to income ratio. Your FICO score is partly dependent on your available credit to actual debt ratio....then of course late pays. DAMN those smack you down pretty hard.

It dropped over 20 points at a pop last year when I bought the Polaris Ranger 800. I put 50% down and financed the balance to take advantage of an extended warranty if you financed. So, I got a 1.09% rate for 36 months and paid it off in 6 months with extended warranty in hand... :)

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I'm a member of Lifelock. I have the whole family covered. A few months ago, I requested a new card from my bank, and Lifelock informed me that someone was looking into my credit information about a new card. They told me who it was, and I said that it was OK. The next day, they informed me someone was trying to open a credit card account using my daughters name. That was put to a halt immediately! My 9 year old does not need a credit card!

9. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Chris, I'm guessing the thing to do is to 'freeze' your credit when you KNOW you are not going to be applying for loans, etc.

Of course your hand might be forced if, say, you were definitely a victim of a data breach/hack........or your car or home was burglarized and your ID and SS card were stolen or something. I'd definitely do a 'freeze' right away then. I'd say 1 year would do it. They'd be trying to suck off your identity and credit pretty quickly.

Not sure if it works for stuff like cars, but don't some financial companies 'create' a credit score for you based on your monthly bill paying? Like utilities, power, cell phone, etc.? I think I heard Dave Ramsay mention this (Churchill Mortgage?). Maybe others do it for 'large' purchases. And I'm not sure how a credit freeze would affect that anyway.

10. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I HAVE NO Credit cards, it will be 2016 before the chapter seven I filed in '09 drops off my record - so until then I doubt I have any issues.

I still get Credit Card offers, but having tested one of them (Amazon) they returned a negative, stating that I had a bankruptcy on my history. So that much is good. Next year I'll take this up for another look, it's good info and protection.

HOWEVER:
    I DO monitor my bank account online, and do a lot of online purchases. Last month or so I saw where some really (and I mean REALLY) strange purchases were on my account, and I instantly reported them to my bank (B of A)

1) They/We FROZE the debit card and account. *Take note that this was done ON A WEEKEND
    2) B of A launched an investigation
    3) An investigation report arrived inside of ten days, which I filled out and mailed back.
    4) A new card was issued. That took 5 to 7 "business days", eh... I still had a few checks, and ordered some new ones
    *Been so long since I wrote a check, I forgot how to spell my name
    5) The amounts fraudulently charged to my account were reversed - "credited back" - pending the result of the investigation.
    * The missing cash was available within hours
    6) On the conclusion of the investigation the amounts "Temporarily Credited Back" (refunded) were made permanent by B of A.

I was fortunate in that I caught the activity quickly, I never go to a store to use the card for a significant purchase without checking my funds first. I often look at the account for tracking and monitoring reasons anyway, even if nothing should have changed. I like to know if certain "AUTO-PAY" bills have cleared, and when. They can sometimes SNAFU and I am alert to any problems if I consider other agencies as subject to Murphies laws as I am.

The attempt happened on a Friday, I looked at my account on the Saturday evening and saw a serious deficit. WTF?

There was a toll free number attached to the charges on the statement, so I called it and asked: "Who the hell are you people?"
    To their credit (no pun intended) they worked with me TO A POINT

By "To a Point" what I mean is that they checked with me as far as the card info, the billing address, and the shipping address.
    They told me that the card info was correct, but the E-Mail attached was way off, and the shipping address was to another state.
    And then they clammed up because they said there were "LEGAL ISSUES", they wouldn't give me the address the products were shipped to.

They DID however mark the account that they showed as "FRAUDULENT" based on the info I gave them.

POINTS of INTEREST:
    The card never leaves my control. It is in my house, or on my person. There is only one card. The only time info from the card goes anywhere else is when I make a purchase online. Presumably one of the places I bought something from either IS disreputable, or has a disreputable employee (I hope B of A caught the bugger!)

Normally, unless what I am looking for is not available at AMAZON, I don't go to other sources.
    There is a short list of reliable suppliers that I go to for hardware and other items. I recently had to track down some stainless grade two fasteners, for example.

The reason for that is because AMAZON is excellent at tracking and record keeping of all transactions, and is active in resolving any and all conflicts. Fraud at AMAZON is a big deal, they know that, and are relentless at making it a fair and most of all SECURE marketplace.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  11. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

So what about the 4th credit bureau as it's sometimes called? Do you have that one frozen too Ken?

The effectiveness of lifelock or similar is up for discussion in this situation.

12. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Lifelock is a way to protect you from identity theft. For me it costs $360.00 a year and that covers me, my wife and 2 kids. They have stopped one attempt when someone tried to use my daughters name to open an account. They also send warnings when known child molesters/rapists move into the area. You can actually look up what they were charged with, their sentence, etc.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Those I know of....

The "Big Three":

Equifax, Experian and Transunion
    They use the "FICO" algorithm, which they license from Fair Isaac.

Fair Isaac itself isn't a credit agency, but it is the one place you can go to get your true credit score. www.myfico.com is operated by them, and they pull your credit info from the big three, and get FICO scores from the data. Unless you buy a score directly from a credit agency, odds are virtually 100% that any score you get elsewhere (freecreditscore.com, etc) are close approximations of your FICO score based on their best guess modeling of the FICO algorithm, because they would have to pay Fair Isaac to use the "real" algorithm.

The two smaller players:

Innovis
    They handle mainly ID verification and company receivables credit.

PRBC
    Mainly is for rental and utilities reporting, sort of the last resort for those who have no credit and want to build it. People enroll there and build credit by supplying proof of each payment. I believe they then report this info to the big three.

Business credit agency:

Dun and Bradstreet (usually called "D&B")
    Handles business credit reporting. When we opened an account with a parts supplier if they gave net 30 terms instead of paying up front, they would usually ask for our "D&B number" to pull our business credit report.

----------

There may be others, but its been a long time since I was in the industry (used to program for a major company who did loan verification for banks, and we pulled from the big three and D&B). Since virtually no business uses anything other than the big three when pulling personal credit information, you're covered by freezing Equifax, Transunion and Experian.

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hopefully what I list below can save you a big chunk of money to accomplish protecting your credit/identify far better...

First, protecting your credit from anyone trying to apply for credit on your accounts:
    Lifelock sends a fraud alert to each credit agency every 90 days. They are basically telling the agencies you are a victim of credit fraud. When the credit agencies have a fraud alert on your account, they notify you any time someone tries to pull your credit report. Life Lock has them send the alert to them instead, and charges you $360 for this. Freezing your three credit reports for $0 - $10 per year (for each agency, amount varies by state), works better because it stops it before they can even pull your report.

Go to each agencies web site, apply to freeze your credit. Done.

Sexual offender notification:
    http://www.nsopw.gov/ - here you can pull the information manually, for free
    http://www.familywatchdog.us/FreeEmail.asp - will send the information to you automatically, for free.

Protecting your credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc. from being used:
    https://www.billguard.com/ - free Android/iPhone app. They have paid versions, but the free version should pretty much cover you because you've already frozen your credit accounts with the credit bureaus. They also use crowd-sourcing like Likelock does, looking for anything on the Internet matching you. More info about them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BillGuard

If you have any investment accounts, billguard should work with most of them. But I recommend instead setting account alerts with your investment accounts directly (this is what Lifelock supposedly does).

Most banks, if you use their online account tools you can setup email alerts.

Most credit cards, you can also setup alerts. Both my credit cards, for instance, email me within 1-2 minutes of any attempts to charge my card, how much, who did it and if it's online or not. Plus if they think it's fraudulent, they'll let you know, or... if they see a pattern which seems fraudulent (lots of purchases one after the other, more than one charge to the same vendor, charges out of state, etc).

Seeing all activity on all existing credit card, bank, and investment accounts:
    http://www.mint.com - Free, owned by Intuit, the makers of Quick Books and Quicken
    https://www.creditkarma.com/ - Free, the only one I know of which Clark Howard recommends besides Mint. They have credit monitoring tools for free.

-------------------
    Of course you'll initially need to spend an hour or two setting everything up above, but once you're done you can chuck that $360/year bill from Likelock, and pay only the $0 to $30 annual freeze charges from the credit bureaus, and let the above sites/apps notify you when there are problems.

I stay far away from Lifelock, they are a huge target of hackers, got hit with a data breach last year and if you're in their next breech you're up sh*t creek. Their $1 million dollar guarantee doesn't pay for money you loose, it only pays for the cost you might having clear up your credit reports. Lifelock is a big hacker target. They have been hit again and again with lawsuits from the Feds and states for deceptive advertising - here's one example: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...l-pay-12-million-settle-charges-ftc-35-states

Remember how they used to have ads with the CEO's social security number? You know why they don't do that any more? Because even with his own companies' tools, he ended up being the victim of ID theft over a dozen times, and that was as of 5 years ago. No doubt the number is higher now!
    http://www.wired.com/2010/05/lifelock-identity-theft/

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  15. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Thanks for that info Ken, I will take advantage of it!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso