Oil drain plug

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Silver lake, Mar 22, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Silver lake

My 72 f250 has a plastic oil pan drain plug.Its rubber, as and I think its factory original. I cant get it back in, because it's so old.I don't see any threads in the hole.Any ideas??

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

It should be metal and there should be threads .
    Got a picture you can post of what you have?

3. Silver lake

Yes

4. Silver lake

20200322_161718.jpg #ad

5. Silver lake

This is the plug.has factory numbers, says 360

6. BKW Founding Member

Aftermarket auto parts store 'oversize' replacement. The original drain plug and/or the oil pan threads were stripped.

Factory drain plug is the same for all I-6 & V8's, the drain plug pic in post #4 ain't it.

D6TZ-6730-A (replaced D1AZ-6730-A & C3AZ-6730-A) .. Oil Pan Drain Plug 1/2" -20.

7. Silver lake

Here it is

20200322_161709.jpg #ad

8. Silver lake

What are my options?

9. Silver lake

What does that mean?

10. BKW Founding Member

People installed the rubber drain plug, because the threads in the oil pan were stripped.

There was another alternative...

Auto parts stores sold drain plugs that cut new threads in the oil pan. There were two, first oversize and second oversize.

D6TZ-6730-A is the original Ford part number.

11. Silver lake

12. Silver lake

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I need a plug!!

13. iicap

The drain plug you have is a rubber (or synthetic) stopper. It is designed to have a tool that goes into the hole in the center of the wide flange. you push it and it's diameter reduces for insertion or removal. Take the tool away, the stopper will form a bulb shape on inside of the pan. The bulb shape holds the body and flange of the plug tight against the pan for a leak proof connection. If you look at the wide flange you may see 4 opposing slits. If I remember the tool had a cross pin in it and after inserting till the cross pin bottoms, you turn tool slightly left or right and it will lock, holding the plug stretched to a smaller diameter for removal. Then insert the plug into the drain hole, push tight, turn tool back to remove it from the slot. I used a number of these on the Ford Truck Fleet I maintained for many years. They worked very well.

14. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i have never seen one of them from the factory, they were always aftermarket after the oil change monkey stripped the metal plug threads in the pan.

BKW likes this.
  15. Silver lake

I don't have that tool.Thats why I could not get it back in the hole.im going to try a plug like a boat would have . Hope I can get it in.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >