console questions/opinions

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Oct 25, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Since our forum has been sitting idle for so long I thought I'd pull out the choke and see if it would start back up... soooo

I got back around to working or at least thinking about the console and I'm considering the top. I know there are some craftsmen and console experienced builders so I'm asking for info/opinion

first pic is the unfinished sections
    2nd and 3rd pic show options on top placement

I'm looking for other ideas, suggestions, opinions, things I'm forgetting. I will receive wise ass comments and sarcasm and even constructive criticism... which might result in the same reply

A: things I know
    there will be two cup holders in the lower flat part
    there will be some number of switches (4-6) in the panel with the cup holders... doors/windows/hood/etc
    there will be a radio in the sloped part either single or double din
    a power outlet or two will either be in the lower console or possible in the front face of the arm rest part (not pictured)

B: things I don't know and my main concerns
    should the top panel be set into the box (supported by blocks or angled strips, upholstered as a separate piece and held in place by fancy screws or velcro from the bottom or ... made to overlay the box by 1/4"-1/2"
    see pictures...
    what should the top be constructed of... I wonder if using 1/2" mdf might cause me problems with switch depth and mounting
    sheet aluminum (maybe 1/8") and then inset in box...
    other ??

C: Misc.
    have yet to decide on floor lighting and speakers but there is room for 6" on each side of the box or in the kick panels... I'm not needing amps or woofers or any high power/noise equipment... just some tunes/cds

If you've got any other ideas... I"m wide open as a yard gate

j

Img1291a.jpg #ad

Img1308a.jpg #ad

Img1308b.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

LED for lighting. Low amp draw and loads of choices. Some even just stick on with 3m tape.

56panelford likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

X2 LED lightning. For the top I'd have it with an inner lip which fits into a grove on the lower part, with some kind of rubber stripping to give it a nice "thud" sound when it closes.

4. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

'For the top' ??? you mean the top of the arm rest/storage box/junkdrawer ??? and I agree on the led lights... will research them tomorrow

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yes, that's what I mean for the top.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The sound a baseball bat makes when it hits the top of yer head.....

56panelford likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I remember when that first came out, it's just as funny now as it was then! That "DING" "AAARRRRGGGG" is priceless!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >