D Rated Tires

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Brown Falcon, Dec 15, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

Hey y'all, I've got a 2012 F150 that's leveled and once the stock size 275/65-18 tires wear out (soon) I'm wanting to go to a taller tire. I've been looking at the 285/75 and 295/70 sizes which are as big as I can go without clearance issues but they are pretty much all E rated.

I don't need to additional load capacity of E rated and they are heavier. The plus side is that the tread depth is much better.

Any suggestions on similar size All-Terrain tires that come in a D load range?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Can't say what to get, but I will say stay away from Terra Grapplers I wasn't impressed in the long run.

Brown Falcon likes this.
  3. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

Top contenders right now are Falken Wildpeak and Cooper AT3.

4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Why do you want to go to a taller tire and why not 10 ply's, especially now that you are pulling a camp trailer?

5. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

I want more ground clearance for the rutted dirt roads and hunting areas.

Tire weight and ride quality are the main reasons I'm looking into the D rated. The camping trailer is only 4,500 pounds.

However, along with the 10 ply tires you get quite a bit more tread depth so they should last longer.

6. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I run 10 ply on everything. Hold up better on gravel and I've yet to have a rock puncture on some of the logging roads aaround here that seem to like using the heavy rock. I've been kind of thinking about going to F rated on the back of the dually, but I'm waiting to see how the BFG T/A E rated tires do for mileage.

Brown Falcon likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

There's a meme to be had from this thread!

Buys heavy duty truck but wants light duty ride quality.
    Puts on light duty tires and gives up the "heavy" in duty.

:)

8. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

I wasn't aware that a F150 is "heavy duty". I've owned F350s, F350s, F150s, diesel and gas.

I'm just wondering if there are options I'm overlooking to get what I want. I don't "need" E rated tires. I'm jot against them and currently have E rated on the truck. I had an F150 with factory C rated tires and hated them. I figure a D range would be appropriate for my uses but it seems that there are more downsides than advantages.

Seabiscuit likes this.
  9. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's not.......2022 Ford® Super Duty® Truck | Available Models
    IMHO, I've always viewed the F150 as a light duty modern version of the Ranchero with perhaps a little more ground clearance. The Maverick is nothing more than a car they decided to leave the trunk lid off of. In fact, I believe my 4 door sedan has more GVRW.
    HD (Ford Super Duty) reserved for 250 and above.

Brown Falcon likes this.
  10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It was an attempt at humor. Not seriousness.

Brown Falcon likes this.
  11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The modern F150 has capacities the same range the F250 did before they split the line off with the 1999 F250 model. And much stronger frames than the F250 did, when the F150 switched to fully boxed frames in 2004. The 1997 F250 had a max GVWR of 8,800 lbs. The 2004 F150 was just shy of that by 600lbs. 460 in 1997 had 260HP, 410 ft/lbs torque. 5.4L in 2004 had 300HP, 365 ft/lb torque with higher torque below 1000 RPM where you need it starting up a big load. So you view the F150 like a Ranchero, then any F250 before 1999 is in the same Ranchero boat.

I think Ford nailed it with the Maverick. Aimed at city buyers who want better economy, easy city street and parking size, and some of the practicality of a small truck. And with a great price for younger buyers, and one of the best reliability ratings (something the Super Duty has yet to manage for over two decades).

Brown Falcon likes this.
  12. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

Agreed on the increased capabilities of the modern F150s.. One is a 2012 with the Ecoboost and the max tow rating package in 2012 allowed up to 13,500 pounds towing.

The most I've towed with mine was a 8,500 pound 28 ft camping trailer with a weight distribution hitch. I also towed my wife's 2013 Explorer from Oregon to Georgia on a flatbed with a combined weight around 7k.

The only thing I'm towing bow is our 19 ft bunkhouse camper that weighs 4,500 pounds.

I'll likely just stick with the E rated because there are more options and they have a deeper tread depth.

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Not arguing the F150 doesn't have increased capacity as time progresses, but it is still not classified as a Heavy or Super Duty Pickup unless ordered with the special F-150 HEAVY-DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (OPTION CODE 627). And then Ford still does not lump it in with the HD or Super Duty pickups. W
    When it can haul my camper or any camper of similar class and pull my 6800#'s of boat or a 4 horse trailer loaded with horses, hay and tack up and down steep Cascade, Blues or Rocky Mountain grades, and still be going strong at 250,000 miles the way my F250 is, I might reconsider that Ford is incorrect in their classifications of the F150 and its capabilities.
    They are great pickups, but don't fill the bill for "Super Duty" or Super Duty Capabilities.

I wouldn't go with anything less than E Rated around here, and Evan being from here most likely fully understands why.

Brown Falcon likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >