Dash illumination

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by goodag2, Mar 1, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. goodag2

I just bought a 2003 F150 Extended cab with the 4.2L v-6. The other night I noticed that there was no back lighting of the climate control dials. No adjustment of the brightness "wheel" made any difference. Since nothing else seemed to be malfunctioning, I didn't expect a fuse problem, even though I checked it. Does this part of the instrument panel indeed have an illumination bulb or is it designed to be totally unreadable in the dark?

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

It should be illuminated.

3. goodag2

I'm tempted to get behind the dash and check wiring, connectors and bulbs. Does anyone have experience doing that or access to some sort of diagram or written procedure for removing the dash?

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. Paul Masley Founding Member

The stereo is above, remove it and you will gain easy access to the climate control. There should be two matte black covers on the bottom of the cover, like power point on the left and Sync on the right. Pry them out carefully and the hold screws are there, stick fingers in both a/c vents and pull straight out..

FTZ HAIC and dustybumpers like this.
  5. goodag2

Once I understood how the dash panels were attached, it was child's play. 2 blown #168 bulbs. Thanks for the assistance.

FTZ HAIC, JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >