Cab mounting- front

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by stevep5b, Jun 1, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. stevep5b

Hi all, I'm new to F100's and have recently purchased a 1953 over hear in the UK. It is in a big mess and needs work and wonder if you kind folks on here could assist? The truck has been modified substantially over the years and it now has a boxed chassis . 4 link rear suspension. Volvo front axle. Ford Mondeo steering ram and column. So as you can see, bits from all over.
    One area of concern is the front cab mount that seems to have the incorrect parts fitted allowing the cab to move around excessively and cause the front fenders ( wings ) to rub on the front bumper. wonder if this is a common problem, and weather I should mount the cab with a solid mount directly to the chassis. Your thoughts would be welcome.
    Thanks Steve

Tags:
  2. stevep5b

Thanks

no number plate.jpg #ad

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Post us a picture of what you have, so we can figure what they did.
    We have a lot of talented people here, I'm sure we can figure out how to straighten it out

4. stevep5b

This is all I have in the way of pictures. The first is in the cab and the other the elongated hole on the chassis support. the third is the rubber mounting blocks approximately 3 inch diameter.

20160601_120730.jpg #ad

20160601_121833.jpg #ad

Cylindrical_Rubber_Mounting_Threaded.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

what do you have between the cab and the frame?
    The rubber "doughnuts" go between the cab and the frame, and the bolt goes through it all, holding it all together like a sandwich

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

You need an isolator, bushing. A solid mount will cause a new set of issues.

56panelford likes this.
  7. stevep5b

Hi and thanks for your replies. I fabricated a piece of steel the same thickness as the chassis cab support with a hole the correct size for the locating bolt that fits inside the oval hole and a large washer to fit snugly to the shaped piece on the cab floor and tightened things up using a rubber mounting and all seems well in this area.
    But, the fenders still move up and down by 1/2 inch and seem to be bolted only to the radiator horseshoe. Are there no other supports for the fenders?
    Your help is very welcome.
    Steve

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There should be a small version of that mount under the radiator support.

9. fordgo Vet Zone

upload_2016-6-3_8-20-48.png #ad

this is a illustration from the catalog from mid-fifty of the front mount hope it helps

JWC 3, Fabman and dustybumpers like this.
  10. fordgo Vet Zone

the only other mounting points for the front fenders other than the radiator horse shoe are two rods that go from the firewall to the corners of the fenders..

11. stevep5b

The picture of the correct cab mount explains it all as I have different parts fitted so will have to get the correct bits

12. stevep5b

I wonder if anyone has a dimension for the thickness of the correct mount when assembled and the distance of the cab to chassis where the mounting is. Cheers

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

56 panel is building a truck right now, give him a message.....

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >