Dave's 54 F100

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Dave's54, Nov 25, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dave's54

New to this forum ...Had truck for 26 years... was originally street rod 10 yrs before....been collecting parts and now on working on my "bucket List" . changed suspension to Voliare clip (disc brakes and PS) this Sumner... now in process of installing Ford 390 (built including tri-power for looks), top loader "RUG" 4 sp transmission, 9 in rear with 3/90 posi. Have Ford Ranger split bucket seat, and a GM tilt steering wheel. Took the Cab off and the "funkly" full front tilt hood and fenders that will be modified. I would like to use the original foot pedals for the clutch & brake... I have a old block hanging off my engine hoist with the bell housing and transmission connected... process of getting engine lined and finding enough clearance to run exhaust....This is a major problem I discovered with the Voliare Clip... Also I'm missing some brackets that may be hidden in the garage (Collected parts for 15 rs as truck was parked)... Hoping to get it running by this spring...

Appreciate if another person has done this install of a 390 using the voliare clip and might have suggestions of where he routed the exhaust manifold/ headers..

Thanks... Dave

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome Dave. @jniolon and others here are more familiar with this year truck than I am. I don't see many FE blocks transplanted into them, so this sounds lke a really cool build.

The FE heads vary concerning which exhaust manifolds (and headers) can bolt to them. What did the block come out of?

3. Dave's54

4. Dave's54

The short block was assembled about 10 years ago... 10.5 compression, hyper tech pistons... stock rods... balanced (engine, fly wheel, pressure plate)... a hydraulic comp cam (need the lumpy idle)... It is sitting covered in the corner of a machine shop waiting to be installed...

5. Dave's54

Just to up-date this build.... After many tries and modifications to the engine and transmission mounts, the engine was secured. I wanted to use the stock clutch & brake pedals... I bought from Nifty -Fifty the frame mounted master cylinder and boost kit... and also the clutch extended pedal rod to avoid a conflict with hitting the brake booster.... all of the pieces fit together after making a modification to help support the clutch linkage to the transmission.

My biggest problem was following directions to use a rear oil pan sump as I was using the Volaire front clip... that I had to have a rear sump pan.... I searched for months (local wrecking yards in WA. & OR states for this pan and finally broke down and bought a new $400 pan to and discover it would not fit... For grins, I took out a old front sump pan and low and behold...it fit!!! The next thing was to make a remote oil filter.

With all of my screwing around, I tried to make life easier my ordering exhaust headers.... after four sets, I decided to modify the last set... The main problem if I wanted steering, I could not stay inside of the frame (exhaust) as there was no room... it was going to be the steering or the exhaust inside of the frame.... I made headers cross over the frame and that "dump-" behind the front wheels. My plan is to run the exhaust under the running boards and exit in front of the rear tires ... could change as I move on.

I must have over 80 hrs of cutting, fitting and welding the headers.... when I was done, I shined a light up the tubes and to my surprise, lots of mini pin holes.... after 40 hours I put the headers where I could not see them for awhile ( 4 months ago and still have not looked at them... discussed with my self...)

I am also in the process of removing some of 50+ years of natural asphalt and grim from the frame... I want a clean and dirt/ oli free frame when I start to reassemble it... lots better with clean hands.

Hopefully with in the next couple of weeks, I can start assembling

Dave

6. Greg Rogers

Sounds like it's coming along. Keep at it. Show us some pics!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >