Decisions decisions

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Evolushun, Jul 31, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Evolushun

Just picked up an 01 f150 5.4. Was told the motor was hurt, and got it for scrap price, so I'm deciding to either swap out the hurt motor, or rebuild the current 1. It's got 107k on it, and supposedly had a "ford mechanic" think its something related to the cam. It's not seized, holding oil. End goal is to flip it, so I'm not looking to make anything fancy outta it. Make it mechanically sound, and send it back out into the world. Any thoughts?

Tags:
  2. captchas

those motors did have cam phaser issues, heres a few links to help

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

He shouldn't have issues with phasers, those didn't come out until the next-generation F150 truck.

Evolushun, you haven't given us anything to go by, what symptoms, if any, are you seeing? What have you checked? "Cam shaft issues" can run the gamut of possibilities....timing chain, scored cam lobes, cam position sensor, cam shaft bearing wear and so on.

4. Evolushun

I literally just had the truck dropped off yesterday and had to pressure wash a yr of funk off it. I got the battery to take a charge, tonight I wanna see if she does more than turn over. I bought it expecting a swap. I'm a body & paint tech, so I dabble in mechanics, and have sum other resources if I get in over my head...I'll update after tonight.

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i bought one that had a "rod knock" for $500 to use as a parts truck. after starting it, i loaded it on the trailer and brought it rite to the shop with the lift to pull the transmission. put a flex plate in it to replace the one that was broke in two pieces and sold it the next day for $1500 more than i paid for it.

then bought two others for $500 for parts.

6. Evolushun

Your picking up what I'm putting down

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Tags:
virtuoso