(DEEP!) Bondo Removal

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, May 19, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

There are good ways, and there are bad ways - Bondo is a resinous plastic substance similar to epoxy, and polyester resin. It is a "THERMOSET" plastic, meaning that once the resin and catalyst have cross-linked and the material hardens - it is relatively impervious to heat. I don't know of any solvent that can remove it either, so what we are left with is "Mechanical" removal.

But there are ways you can speed up the process and save yourself some grief.

In this video, for lack of the grinder tool you will see at the end of the video, I cross-cut the material with a small wire wheel mounted in an electric drill. It took some time, as you can imagine, but I've been trying not to cause any further damage to the metal if I can help it.

The reason for the cross-cut procedure you are about to see:

* Part 1 is mainly about removing old decals, but it's where the Bondo disaster was discovered

But all of that is if you don't have the ultimate "BONDO-BLASTER" tool, an angle grinder, with a mild steel knotted cup brush:

With that tool all by itself, I cleaned off ten times the old body filler in an hour than I managed to strip off all day yesterday, and the bare metal looks actually polished...

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Tags:
    Campspringsjohn likes this.
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Or you could try this.... :)

upload_2016-5-19_18-42-13.png #ad

bigrigfixer and Fabman like this.
  3. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Makes me miss the days I used to work in a body shop!

One critique, the captioning software you used was close, but as I followed along, you would say one thing and it translated wrong. I don't think it likes the word "bondo".

56panelford likes this.
  4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Probably because I didn't use any captioning software - unless that's something YOUTUBE does.

Hmm... That may be it.

On upload, there's a "TRANSLATION" option that I sometimes hit by accident, and then set to "ENGLISH" just to get rid of it.

*Just as I was typing that last evening, power blinked out. Funny, but Kens forum software saved what I had up to that point and all I had to do was click "POST" when I logged in today and saw it.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

One of my favorite features of Xenforo. :)

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

THANK YOU AND THEM SO MUCH!!!

I thot it was gone fer good, and I just threw up my hands and went to bed...

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It should store any text entered for 24 hours. It pre-saves post input text every 60 seconds.

bigrigfixer likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >