Def gauge

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Reflection19, Aug 3, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Reflection19

Had def tank replaced. Got truck back with full tank put 480 miles since it was replaced 280 miles towing def gauge has not moved dealer says normal I don’t thank it is

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Sounds like the sending unit is busted or not plugged in. Dealers are stupid to say something like that, because eventually you use enough DEF that they can't deny it!

3. Fred_Flintstone

You may want to crawl under your truck and make sure its plugged in

4. Obe Vet Zone

Something could be wrong, depends on the load of your tow. If you hook up a trailer with a load that DEF will suck up much faster than normal. On my 2019, normal driving without load or trailering I could go about 6 months (~5,000 miles) before I had to refill the DEF. Hook up my 8,500 lb RV and put the truck in tow\haul mode and I was refilling the DEF every 600 to 800 miles or so. EPA mandates that DEF usage is increased when the vehicle is under load. So yes, you could have put 480 miles on it with little DEF gauge movement (especially if they filled it to the cap). I also believe you would get a system fault if there was not DEF flow but I'm not sure. Considering the EPA mandates, I'm pretty sure you would have seen some warning if no DEF was flowing.

5. ifallsguy

Wow! The DEF tank was replaced on my 2020 just prior to a trip. Towing a 8200LB travel trailer I was getting about 3800 miles per tank. That includes going through the Rocky Mts. Without a tow, I can get better than 9K per tank of DEF. As an FYI, I put about 18K on our truck every year.

The dealer has verified the gauge and system is working correctly. And about 30% of my driving is around town. Maybe my using HotShot EPD helps.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >