Diesel Truck Decision

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by Kajtek1, Nov 14, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I guess this topic is good for my question as any other.
    I drive 2007 F350 with 6l. I have bulletproof EGR cooler and replaced oil cooler with factory updated one couple years ago.
    Have been religious about keeping good quality, Mercedes coolant, yet with over 150,000 miles the coolant pressure goes to 15 psi on regural basis.
    I could never figure out if that is leaky HG or hot spot on the engine, but I am planning to go full time RV and I am not comfortable with this engine.
    So my plan for next year is
    1. get rich (house on the market)
    2 buy newer truck with reliable engine.
    I usually tend to buy used as I can fix anything, but right now 4 years old F350 duallies sell for $55k, while I can buy new one for $64k and hopefully trade my 6 l in.
    I am not married to Ford, but after owning 3 Superduties it sure is easier to stick to the brand you know.
    Gasoline engine is out of the question.
    What would you do?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd replace the pressure cap, they are notorious for failing. Then use no more than 30% coolant additive with 70% distilled water, since more coolant decreases heat transfer ability. And throw in a bottle of Water Wetter or similar product since it reduces surface tension which helps water transfer heat better. See if it goes away with this.

3. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I drive with coolant pressure and Scangauge all the time and cap is fine. Had it puke couple times with heavy towing above 16psi.
    Had a topic on other forum and everybody is telling me it is HG, while the pressure comes to 15 psi only after some driving.
    I can redline warm engine and the pressure will not jump.
    Sometimes I think it might be weak water pump since the cooling fan is not coming up and on grades engine comes above 200F.
    But my question is not about troubleshooting the engine. This truck beside unreliable engine is aging and since getting rich is on my schedule, I would like to get 6.7l or newer RAM.
    The dilemma is that used duallies cost almost the same what new trucks after incentives and that is what I don't understand.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, could be a HG, was trying to rule out the pressure cap. Right now Ford is trying like crazy to boost F-series sales numbers, they have to hold onto their year after year #1 position, and the aluminum body F150 put them way behind for a while due to early production problems (they couldn't produce enough). So right now they have about the highest incentives they've had in a long time, and GM/Dodge have tried to match them.

I'm going to split this off into a separate topic. :)

5. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I did some "window shopping" and new trucks retail at $60 k but right now there ia about $8k incentive that bring the price to $52k.
    The 4 years old trucks I found on Autotrader are listed at $54k :eek:
    I did not buy new vehicle for 17 years, so who did it recently and can post some tips?
    Is picking up dealer inventory better, or custom ordering?
    There are not too many duallies with supercab in inventory and they tend to have $450 electric rear sliding window, or $600 5th wheel preparation that I could live without.
    I am buying nice rear view cameras for $100, so is spending $500 for factory one worth it?
    I think it is tailgate mounted, so useless with camper.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I thought the new Super Duty included several cameras in the package, including a remote one you could put at the back of your load?

7. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I spoke with local Ford salesman yesterday.
    Internet search did show a truck at their address, the salesman said he has none.
    Looks like Ford does internet gouging.
    Same with RAM. I open a site showing RAM 3500 HD, what is dually and when I click "inventory" I am getting few pages of RAM 3500 with zero duallies on them.

8. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

So far the 6.7 seems to be fairly reliable, at least in comparison to the 6.4. We have 2 6.7's at work. The 350 has been in the shop a few times for pain in the but stuff not covered by warranty. The 550 spun a bearing and got a new motor in it under warranty at around 80k.

I don't know for sure, but I'm afraid fixing it yourself pretty much went out the window after the 6.0, so you'll have to decide between an ESP or a delete and tune to get rid of the stuff that chokes down the engine and seems to cause problems.

Personally, I think once you get past the 6.0 motor, used should only be an option is the miles are low, extended warranty is available, and the price is right. Just too many unknowns in how the previous owner treated it and these newer engines and all their gadgets are more sensitive than the old HEUI systems, and just don't come with any room under the hood to work on them.

That's on the 17 models due out next year.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  9. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I am high-tech guy and have no problem to attack tech problems when information is available. (just modified fully computerized airmatic system on wife Mercedes)
    Obviously the idea of getting new truck is to have warranty and not to worry about repairs for few years.
    Spun bearing at 80k doesn't sound right, but I would hope that Ford is enforcing weak points in following MY.
    My window shopping is not going too well. Too much BS on manufacturer sites. They post "extended inventory" with the address 5 miles from my house and some search will find the truck 700 miles away.
    Not too many duallies to start with. I have no problem to drive even 600 miles to pick one up and looks like I might have to do it.
    I noticed it for years that duallies are not too popular in CA, but plenty of them in Oregon.

10. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Not being scared to attack a tech problem isn't quite the same as not being able to even reach it with your hands because it's all crammed in there so tight. (this is a mental hang up on my part)

My problem is, 3/36k won't even last 12 months for me. The 100k power train will likely last two years, but the hi-tech gadgets will be out of warranty during the first.

Besides, having a warranty that covers repairs all the times your truck is in the shop sounds more like a Dodge thing. Ford is supposed to be the one that's not in the shop.

11. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I don't know about Ford not being to shops.
    For years I treat my family to Mercedes and even those with diesel engines and 250k miles were when I could just sit in and go across the country.
    I had 2 vehicles that for some time, when starting the ignition gave me "what broke now?"
    One was BMW750, the other F450 with 7.3l.
    7.3 l was reliable engine, but clog tank strainers, failing sensors, broken sensors spitting oil, coolant tank that cracks on desert 200 miles from closest dealer. leaky fuel drain valve. water pump, starter, CPS
    Wife newer Mercedes has about 150 sensors in it and nothing breaks. At 157k miles I replaced $40 ring on air compressor as the suspension would not raise under heavy load and that is it.
    Hope Ford will get there sometimes.
    That is one of the reasons I am considering Dodge, but they come with smaller engines and seem to cost more.

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Dodge has it's share of problems. The death wobble is notably common.

Transmissions are supposed to be a weak point, and DFP I've heard has more issues than Ford. But the engines themselves are rock solid. Currently the same displacement as Ford, 6.7L.

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My friend thought the same thing when he bought his dodge dually last year
    He never really had any trouble with his f 350 dually, but his work service truck gave him a fit
    He hates the Dodge.
    It stays more at the dealer than at his house
    He can't wait until he has enough payments in it until he's not "upside down". When he stops by here, he looks at the Platinum, and just shakes his head

14. Kajtek1 Founding Member

How that looks like?
    After the friends discount the sticker comes to $49k

Attached Files:

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >