Dieselgate Begins....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Oct 6, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Looks like Ford put out the most. I've often wondered about the emissions dumped in the atmosphere by jetliners, I think air quality would be far greater if they limited air travel which I believe is the biggest polluters

JWC 3 likes this.
  3. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Sounds to me like there's some serious flaws in the testing protocol.

4. Paul Masley Founding Member

I agree with ya John, but afterburners are such a rush.................

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

My Mother passed in 91 . She was sure
    that each time a space mission was launched the weather was affected .
    Wonder why the US space program was
    halted .........

7. Paul Masley Founding Member

John, several people have said that to me also regarding the weather. Have you noticed the lack of major hurricane landfalls since the shuttle was shuttled?

JWC 3 likes this.
  8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Yes . I notice a change .My mother and grandmother,were weather watchers .
    They were strong in their thoughts .
    Our drought in the 80 .s showed that much .They were correct .

9. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Programming vehicles to detect when they are in emissions testing and performing differently is a whole different kettle of fish than simply building cars to pass emissions protocol.

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=8F9FF54D5DDB0D4418DF8F9FF54D5DDB0D4418DF
    An amazing jet but wonder what it was leaving in the ozone and how it effected the weather and air quality every time it took off, likely why it was shelved.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Been doing some reading since air travel was brought up, it's about 5 to 15% of the impact depend on which set of data you go with. The US car and truck fleet account for 20% of USA emissions. To put this in contrast, the 15 largest cargo ships contribute more than the entire world's fleet of cars! http://www.industrytap.com/worlds-1...pollution-than-all-the-cars-in-the-world/8182

I found this about Concord... It was basically discontinued because it was a losing proposition. They never made enough of the planes to break even on development, and demand was not terribly high. They officially said "commercial reasons, with passenger revenue falling steadily against a backdrop of rising maintenance costs for the aircraft."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2934257.stm

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

There isn't much out the that doesn't pollute but I'm surprised to know that the car/truck fleet puts out more emissions than the number of jets that are up in the air, especially with all the fuel they go through.

13. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

No doubt you're right Dave, I just think in general the amount of flights around the world on a daily basis pollute far more than the car/trucks on the road and think numbers are fixed to the benefit to big corporations.

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

100,000 average number of global flights per day
    1,200,000,000 number of cars in the world "on the the road". This includes cars, pickups, commercial vehicles like buses and tractor trailers, etc. but does not include off-road use vehicles.

Top ten auto companies combined annual revenue: 1.494 trillion dollars
    Top ten airline companies combined annual revenue: 288.2 billion
    Top ten auto companies are 518% larger than the top ten airlines.

You can't have conspiracies that big and keep it a secret.

Paul Masley likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso