Difference in wiper motor wiring

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by JimC, Jun 22, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JimC

Hey guys, I recently bought a wiper motor for my 69 F350 that has a variation in the wiring compared to the one I'm replacing. Both have a red a white and a blue wire coming from the motor housing, but the original also has a black wire coming from there whereas the new one has a green wire instead. Is it safe to assume the green wire would go to the same connector as the black?

Thanks in advance!

20240621_164536.jpg #ad

20240622_094540.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

Not sure, is the connectors different, can’t tell from pics?
    Might want to look at the shaft coming from motor too
    I recently bought one for my 67 and the shaft on the new one was much bigger than original so the swing arm would not fit. Ended up finding a used motor

JimC likes this.
  3. Oldiesask

I have found some shady manufacturers over list what they have, claiming things fit, without actually trying it out. The suppliers just go by what the manufacturer lists, so even some highly respected sellers are getting dubious listings.
    The motor was probably designed for something else, judging by the incorrect plug, so don't expect the wires to be identical, however, you can likely make it work with some rework to the wiring and file work to the arm.

JimC likes this.
  4. JimC

Thanks for the reply. I was talking with a friend and found that he had recently replaced the wiper motor on his 73 F250 with the same motor, and they included the wire crossover info. I would have thought the green replaced the black but the info he gave me (attached) shows otherwise. His and everyone I've seen, including those through good stores like NAPA all have the same plug. So I did as he did and spliced in the original harness. The shaft on the new motor is bigger by 1/16" in diameter, and the area where the slot in the in the swing arm goes on is 1/8" wider, so I milled the slot (and filed the corners) to the same clearances there were between the original slot size and the locating area on the original motor shaft. I haven't tried it yet but my buddy's is working well. 20240622_120219.jpg #ad

5. JimC

That's for sure. One of the problems I've found though is it seems no one's making them to the original specs for our F series trucks. Every parts store I checked, including NAPA, and online store showed one and guarantied it was for my 69 but not only are there none in stock anywhere, the connection is now the same for each one I saw, which requires changing the connection and splicing in wires to lengthen them on the vehicles wiring harness, or splice in the original connector and a section of the wiring attached to it, like I did. I had Ford parts guys tell me it's the same motor used on Bronco's through 79, but when you look the motor up the pigtail and connection is identical to the others I found.

6. RP67F100

I’m bought mine from a well known Ford aftermarket dealer, it was listed for a 69 Bronco not F100 , it looked the same in pictures, the wiring harness was correct, but the shaft was way different

JimC likes this.
  7. Oldiesask

That wiring guide should be included with every motor they sell, as should the rework instructions for the arm. Nothing really wrong with it, just tell people what they have bought.
    FYI, yes the motor is the same for all bumps and dents, earlier ones are similar, but not a direct fit. Also, if you fine one with intermittent wipers, even up to '91, the switch and control box will plug right in. Big car units will not, different park setup.

JimC likes this.
  8. Oldiesask

RP, I'm a little surprised a Bronco one would even be close, my '68 had vacuum wipers, but when the electric ones were used, they were still mounted overhead, very different setup than F series.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >