Does the ECM or the instrument cluster keep actual odometer mileage?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by oldpops, Aug 30, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. oldpops

Just wondering if the ECM retains the actual odometer mileage total? or does that stay with the odometer in the instrument cluster. Thinking of replacing the instrument cluster but don't know if the existing mileage total will show up on the new cluster? Anyone know? If it stays in the ECM, then all i would have to do after swapping the cluster would be to calibrate the gauges.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Mileage is stored in the instrument cluster. Make sure you disclose the cluster has been swapped when you sell it, otherwise it can be considered odometer fraud in many states.

3. oldpops

RATS, I was hoping that info would be stored in the ECM computer. Now I will have to just repair the cluster. Our 2001 F150 Super-crew has a problem with the odometer flickering in and out and the gas gauge used to just say 1/2 tank even after filling. Now the gas gauge says 3/4 full even after filling. A neighbor told me that the problem could be the gas gauge but it could also be in the fuel tank sending unit. We also have a 2004 Ford Freestar where we can't see the odometer during the day, and barely see it at night, which I understand is a pretty common problem. Was gonna change that cluster too but I would assume if the F150 cluster holds the mileage, then the Freestar cluster does as well. Or am I incorrect?

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

For visibility, you can swap out the small lights in the odometer with bright LEDs. I've done that with my F150. Pretty much all Fords store the mileage in the dash, I think the newer dashes might even be married to the PCM and a dealer has to program them to match up to the PCM if either is swap.

If you check on Ebay, there are often dashes on sale there, find one with mileage close to the mileage you have now, and just make a note of the mileage difference, put it on a card in the glove box so it can't get lost :)

5. captchas

real dealer tech world. YES!!
    the ecm reads the instrument and the body control mod's . . when we had to change one out we had to reprogram the instrument and body so they read what the had ecm stored . sorry but IMM having been at the dealer and factory manager levels "close to 50 years" this is a dealer job to properly reprogram the units .

i wish it was as easy as pre 1996 cars and truck were.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >