Don't Do This! Your Life Depends On It, Seriously.

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by FTZ HAIC, Aug 18, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Over on the Z28 site I manage a person wrote a good How-To article explaining how to change the oil pan gasket. Part of this requires putting the car on jack stands so you can get under it, undoing the engine mount bolts and using an engine lift to raise the engine an inch or so to gain enough clearance.

This article has been on the site for years. Yesterday a guy responds to this old thread with his "tips" for getting the job done, and included this shocking photo:

IMG_0011.JPG #ad

If you value your life never raise an engine like this, especially if you're going to be under the car. Jack stands are made to hold static weight only. A sudden jolt if this horrible home made "hoist" breaks would have a high chance of collapsing the stands or cause them to go sideways --- either way you're dead.

Don't be that guy! If you don't have the money for a hoist (new they run around $200) rent one for the day, it's only about $25-$30. Or at least use something much stronger than this contraption.

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That's down right scary, but have actually witnessed the same sort of thing and couldn't get it through the thick skulled idiot he was risking his life, I had to walk away.

3. pirahnah3 Founding Member

ok wow.....he should count his lucky starts that he is still alive.

Personally I think that a gantry like that can be built however using cheap pine 2x4s is not the answer. you need at least a 4x8 setup, and not via sistered joists.

That said, the money you will spend on that is more than it would cost you to buy a simple cherry picker lift at harbor freight and a couple jack stands.

Ask friends and neighbors for help please dont do something like that.

56panelford likes this.
  4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I can't tell for sure in the photo how many wraps of 1/4" poly rope is required to support the weight of the engine. The extend of bracing and tie offs leads me to wonder how many close calls he's had with even less stellar attempts at doing things.

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Chevy guys...............LOL

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Funny thing is he tried to use an excuse after everyone commented that the top wood wasn't really bent, it was an optical illusion caused by lens distortion (camera phones do tend to fisheye pictures). Not plausible... look at the horizontal 2x4's at the top where they meet up with the vertical 2x4's. You can clearly see the bent gap there angled towards the engine.

bend.jpg #ad

7. pirahnah3 Founding Member

there is no fish eye to that photo, im sorry there is no camera phone that can really fish eye that. You MUST get below 13mm to get the fish eye effect there may be some close arguments to the mm on that one but heck close enough guys. That thing is bent to heck and back and man he is lucky that danged thing didnt break thou if it did he would have been a good contender for a Darwin award.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

At least he has his safety toe work socks on.
    Wow.
    I like the padded creeper too..............
    Wonder if you can buy them on special order??????????

56panelford likes this.
  9. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

By the looks of it he used economy studs too and in the weakest position, on their sides.

10. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Would the gene pool have been elevated should that contraption have fallen? I don't know. Real idiots.

56panelford likes this.
  11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Mr. Murphy and Mr. Darwin can make a visit on this guy at the same time.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome,.............needs to be tempered with intelligence.
    Not so much here.

56panelford likes this.
  12. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

You got to give the spreader block for the chain a little love too.
    Ingenious.

13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Only thing missing , beer cans littering the ground , a few dogs in the background , and Bubba with his tooth showing while he is grinning and giving the thumbs up for this swell invention . I have actually seen worse .

56panelford likes this.
  14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I always work on rigs wearing shorts and socks.........LOL

56panelford likes this.
  15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It got worse.... he came back again saying there was nothing wrong with his setup, we were just looking for something to criticize. Some people you can't reach.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >