DORMAN FUEL LINE

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by gregmartin, Dec 20, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. gregmartin

Hello, I was wondering if I can replace the DORMAN NYLON FUEL LINE with HIGH PRESSURE RUBBER FUEL LINE with hose clamps. The reasoning for this is when I bought my 1988 F-150
    5.0 the previous owner had removed the front tank. All the old fuel line are still there but the O-Rings look dried out, and I know there is replacements but it’s kinda expensive. As long as I’m replacing the TANK, FUEL PUMP AND SENDER, I really don’t care about a QUICK release fuel line. Thanks

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

All I will say, I've seen it done. It worked for them.

3. gregmartin

Thanks for the reassurance, I think sometimes things seem to be a little more complicated than they need be.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. gregmartin

Hello dustybumpers, I had the assumption that the two in tank fuel pumps were low pressure and the one on the frame rail was high pressure. I was going to replace just the two lines from the front tank to that fuel selector valve. Or are they all high pressure?

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Low pressure, but that is the one that went for me. My truck is lifted, so it was a problem because the gas came jetting out

I also would not want to run rubber line over 6-10" at a time loose.
    Usually rubber line would be used as a flex line between steel line in the frame, and a connection .
    say from the FDM to a steel line, then from the steel line to the pump
    Keep in mind there are 2 sizes. 5/16 for the supply, 1/4 for the return

I do have a rubber line on the supply side of that truck from the FDM over to the high pressure pump, because I broke down one night, and that's how I got her home.
    One of these days I need to fix it properly
    :muted:

7. gregmartin

I did watch your Video and it did look easy to do, I didn’t want to use any old nylon hose and I did find it on line pretty cheap. Maybe I’ll give it a shot, since the new tank not installed yet and it’s only two wheel drive there’s plenty of room to work. Thanks

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Good luck with any dicision you go with.
    Myself, or JWC 3 is always on here, so if you have a question or problem, we can help pretty quick

Remember what I said about the return line being smaller than the supply line

You know that the one clip is white, the other black

The clips come with the ends

9. gregmartin

Hello dustybumpers, when you HEAT the nylon hose and press on the connector does the hose as it cools down shrink onto the barbed fitting tight or do you need some kind of hose clamp? Thanks

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

It shrinks.

dustybumpers likes this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Be careful, and don't put too much heat on it, it will bubble up, and become useless
    Just wave the heat over it until it gets soft. Push the brass in, and hold it until it hardens

Yes to the question.

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. gregmartin

Thanks dustybumpers, I’ll going to try it, might as well keep it original. Thanks

JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
  13. gregmartin

Thanks JWC 3:

JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >