Help!!!!Having a shift problem!!!

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Justin s 90, Nov 15, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Justin s 90

I have a (1995 f150 4.9l rwd with a E4ODtrans automatic transmission abs not on ) So my torque converter went out about 2months ago so I changed it and front transmission seal now it won't engage into gears I'm about to change the shift silinoid pack and transmission filter wondering if there could be anything else that would cause this issue that I should cheak wile I'm under the truck one person said my neutral safety switch might be lined up wrong

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I had my E4OD rebuilt and "bullet proofed", along with some Ford recommended changes this spring. 2 year warranty came along with it.
    Transmissions are something I just don't mess around with. Mine hadn't failed, but I did notice some minor symptoms that I wanted checked out and then decided to make a preemptive strike on it as opposed to waiting for the ride on the "hook".
    The only time I've had any kind of problem with the E4OD was getting it into gear is when I blew a fuse on the ABS - which was related to a wiring problem in the trailer connection, which did give me the light, which you say you don't have.

One of the "pro's" will be along soon that can probably give you some ideas.
    When you pulled the pan, how much black 'mud' or shavings were on the magnet?

3. Justin s 90

Haven't pulled the pan yet wanted to have part before hand and just waiting on the delivery but I was changing stuff regardless of good part or bad part because it's how I get to work and I bought the truck for 700 a year ago as long as I maintain the truck it will run I planned on doing little by little till the is no problems on it

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pull the codes first...…
    Then you will know what went wrong.
    The light on the shift lever should have been flashing to let you know there is a problem.

5. Justin s 90

Whenever I changed out the torque converter I had the battery unplugged it's not pulling any codes at all and everything is plugged up before I change the torque converter I had no codes and I only change torque converter because I already had to do the front seal on the transmission and figured while I was down go ahead and take it out and change it always check for codes first thing even before I bought the code tool I used to take a piece of wire and run it in between prongs and watch the check engine light flash I tried it with the engine running and with it only in accessory mode

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Does it engage reverse and manual low? Does it pull at all or just not shift properly?

7. Justin s 90

Won't budge a inch no matter what gear

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

When you put the torque converter in, did you turn and push, turn and push, etc, until you couldn't get your fingers between the converter and the case"? Should have been about an inch gap between the converter and the flex plate when the transmission and block were seated together

If you put the transmission back in without the converter seated properly, you toasted the pump when you snugged the transmission up to the block

9. Justin s 90

It is done to Ford specs and yes

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

If no movement, check the fluid engine off . Start the engine and check again. If the fluid level does not drop, the pump is not working .....

11. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

I'm curious if this was resolved, and what the resolution was.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >